Cooking for Friends

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BeeRich

Sous Chef
My buddy down the street (ironically we both moved to this neighbourhood recently) and I have been friends since 9 years old. He just had his first son (first daughter 2 years ago). His son was 7 pounds, 9 ounces.

I bought 23 pounds of pure Boston Pork Butts recently. 3 of 'em to be exact. So 2 were 8 pounds, 1 was 7 pounds. I'm smoking all 3 of them (they went on 40 minutes ago) today, and I hope to deliver one of the 8 pounders to him tonight. He has no clue I'm doing this.

- Bone in
- Cap on (one of them) (I have to request this the next time, to leave them on)
- Injected with apple juice
- Zatarains on all 3
- Wolfe Original on 2
- Wolfe Citrus on 1
- 3 turkey legs done the same way, no injection, Citrus
- Lump charcoal using my Side-Minion Method (lit with new propane torch through the vent)
- Chamber Goal 225°F
- First wood = applewood soaked chips
- Second wood @ 1 hour = Cherry soaked chips
- Third wood @ 2 hours = half volume Mesquite soaked chips
- Goal 200°F then wrap into cooler for 1 hour, then sexy time

Filming this smoke, posted later if I don't fall asleep.

Love the juxtaposition of your friends newly born son's weight and your pork butt weights. I think your friends wife has bragging rights for the best delivery but I'm sure the pork butt will be most appreciated. Look forward to your video. Thanks for all the details on the preparation of your butts.

Yeah when I saw the butts and he told me the weight, a light went on in my head. Since it's a surprise and they're a bit tired, I hope it's a huge hit.

Good luck with the cook. It is very thoughtful of you to give your friend a "fresh off the smoker" boston butt.

Do you not have access to chunks of wood ?

Don't get me wrong, If you like the soaked chips then you go man. To me, unsoaked chunks give a perfect result.

I've found chips to be much more available. I live in a city of 6 million people, so chunks would mean taking off three times a year to fill my convertible with wood chunks. Not really conducive to how I live.

BeeRich said:
I've found chips to be much more available. I live in a city of 6 million people, so chunks would mean taking off three times a year to fill my convertible with wood chunks. Not really conducive to how I live.

You can always try to find a tree trim guy and trade him wood for meat.....That's what I do....It works out perfect for both of us. He drops it in my drive way and I ask him what he wants? Pork Beef or Ribs......Just got a load of apple. Not crab apple either...woo hoo!

I got 2 wood lots in my neck of the woods full of every kind of wood chunks you could ask for. I'm addicted to the Red Oak, thats a Cali thing. But most of all, good for you. You got a great heart! The best gifts are the ones you make! Foil that thing and deliver it with Slaw, BBQ Sause and Buns!

P.S. Toronto Rocks! I work for FedEx and 2 years ago we had our sales forum there. 4000 FedEx Sales Folks were there. I've traveled the world and that place has some of the best Pubs, Clubs and Food around! Folks there were way hospitable. Treated 10 times better anywhere!

I delivered it < 1 hour out of the smoker. I make Ciabatta (bread) and had 2 loaves of that in there as well.

Toronto has a great food scene, having 170 languages here.

Buzz, a video tomorrow sometime. First butt delivered, second butt my mouth is around right now. I butcher those babies up tomorrow sometime.

Very nice of you BeeRich. I know they appreciated it. When my son was born 8 months'ish ago we had a lot of folks bringing by food and I'll tell you what....it sure helped us out. A newborn in the house makes for a crazy time.

I returned the favor to one of our friends who had their first child a few months later. I did a butt and vac packed into smaller portions so they had several meals. Threw in some buns, coleslaw and potatoe salad too.

Once again, very nice of you.

Unfortunately my REPLACEMENT video camera is on the fritz. Every shot I took is garbled. This is what they sent to me after the original barfed. I'm not happy with Kodak.

I will see if I can kick out some pics later today when things calm down.

Sorry, computer malfunction. Here's the video.

[youtube:10rjdp88]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS1o7ctU-_M[/youtube:10rjdp88]

Cool video. Have you tried getting your wood from ontario gas bbq in vaughn? If you know anyone with a cottage up north thats also a decent source of wood.

Roger: That's a 30 minute drive each way for me. Huge traffic. Also last time construction sent me in a huge detour...I live downtown to avoid that stuff.

Bigwheel: Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom