Where have you learned the most?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dollarbill

Head Chef
Is it here or another forum, books, mentors? I know I have probably learned more here than anywhere (besides actual experience). I dont frequent the other sites...Thats just me...db

I've learned a lot from Cooks Illustrated and everything Alton Brown, but I've learned the most here on the forum and on the BBQ Central Radio show.

I'm just pretty new to BBQ and just getting used to everything but this forum has been invaluable. I also pick up a lot of good ideas from a couple of books, "The Culinary Institute of America Grilling" and "Legends of Texas Barbecue Cook Book".

I've got the Smoke & Spice book. Ive never really read through it. I always seem to thumb through and get distracted. I couldnt agree with Nick more! Ask a "Q" here and get a response almost immediatly.

(The other thing I like about this site is you can use profane language ie: Shoot or Gosh dangit' and Greg won't delete the post.) :)

Here and countless screw ups in the kitchen and the pit. I do reference my CIA textbook for the basics a lot though.

'On Cooking' and ' The Escoffier Cook Book'

Here; for BBQ stuff... too bad the search engine got messed up when he switched hosts. :evil:

For everything else, "The Joy of Cooking" has been my bible for ~28 years since I started getting into cookin.

Here for sure. I learned everything I know from Larry......uh.....Scotty......well.....uh....Nick......okay.... Captain Morgan.. ..could have been Finney...or maybe Pigs...Zilla rings a bell............there's one more guy but I forget his name.........starts with Big...... :mrgreen:
(also countless hours of reading, reading, reading.)

I have to say I learned a lot in this forum. I think I learn the most spending a day prepping and then screwing something up and I do not hesitate to post it here so others can learn from my mistakes. Also I am a recipe whore. I will try anything once.

Speaking of being a recipe whore, It really pisses me off that Mastercook 9 doesnt work with vista. I loved that prrogram.

No $*%! Ok, i'll be on ebay in just a few. I've got version 9...I loved it...highlight and it went right into the file box...Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom