Freezing meat/pork???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

92hatchattack

Senior Cook
Hey guys, sorry for all the recent questions but im getting ready to really get into this stuff this summer.

My question is, is it ok to freeze meat and pork? For example, my local Sams Club sells these huge packages of baby back ribs, some with up to 4 great looking large racks in em. For me and my wife we would probally only cook up 1, 2 at most at a time. Can you freeze a rack of ribs, and will they be ok after defrosting? Is there something that is lost when freezing?

Thank all

---Joe

You don't wanna freeze raw meat if it can be avoided.
Cook em all up and Foodsaver em.
You're gunna fire up the cooker for 1 or 2 racks anyway, why not make use of the fuel and cook em all ?
Ribs coming out of a Foodsaver bag are just like coming off the smoker after they have a few minutes.

Scotty's right. When you freeze raw meat, moisture becomes ice
particles, and when thawing, they can leave the meat after
swelling and and creating tiny holes in the meat. The result can
be dry, less tasty meat. This is especially true with seafood.

There's a reason so many food products are promoted as "fresh, not
frozen."

Ok, so its ok to do it, but the result will be less tasty food. I will try it out myself and see how bad it is i guess.

Is there an elternative to this foodsaver setup? Kinda expensive...

We could not live with out our foodsaver. Dad get's a deer every year, we make lot's of sausage, plus all the goodies from the garden. Humm, guess that's why we have two huge deep freezes in the garage. Saves us enough cash I can justify the cost. Plus it was nice when my aunt called and said "get all these cases of canning jars out of the basement." :D

Pigs

We have a V2420 and a 1050. The 1050 whips out after a half dozen bags. The V2420 hangs right in there. Thinking of getting a pro model after these take a powder. Think Greg and other members have a pro also.

Pigs

Back
Top Bottom