New to smoking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jhawkz

Assistant Cook
I am new to smoking. I want to try smoking fish. Does anyone have a good recipes. I need your help.

Might want to try going to seafood on the board index.

Yep its pretty easy.
You can do it on a kettle.
The basic way I have done it is to just smoke it low like 250-275 for no more than a two hours.
I have done salmon mostly. I like apple wood but any fruit woods or alder is fine. I smoke mine till its kindof tough. I like that texture. Use what ever seasonings you like. I'll start skin side down then an hour in I'll peel the skin off and keep smoking for another hour. to be safe I hit it with my thermopen and make sure it comes up to at least 160 or 170. There are a million fancy ways to do it. Bringing, cold smoking, hot smoking etc. But keeping it simple works best for me. When it cools I vacuseal and throw em in the bottom of the fridge. I don't know how long it will keep. I eat it within a week.

Tri Tip said:
Yep its pretty easy.
The basic way I have done it is to just smoke it low like 250-275 for no more than a two hours.
I have done salmon mostly. I like apple wood but any fruit woods or alder is fine. I smoke mine till its kindof tough. I like that texture. Use what ever seasonings you like. I'll start skin side down then an hour in I'll peel the skin off and keep smoking for another hour. to be safe I hit it with my thermopen and make sure it comes up to at least 160 or 170. There are a million fancy ways to do it. Bringing, cold smoking, hot smoking etc. But keeping it simple works best for me. When it cools I vacuseal and throw em in the bottom of the fridge. I don't know how long it will keep. I eat it within a week.

That's a good temp if you like it dry. I usually pull mine off the smoker at 145*.

Nick Prochilo said:
[quote="Tri Tip":2kl03zcf]Yep its pretty easy.

That's a good temp if you like it dry. I usually pull mine off the smoker at 145*.[/quote:2kl03zcf]

Yep I do like it dry. I like to snack on it on the road without it falling apart or making my fingers gooey. I can eat it almost like snacking on dried cheese or jerkey. 145 makes it great for eating for dinner or with some bagels and cream cheese for bfast mmmmmm!

Well grilling fish is real easy. Just fillet em on out if you aint already and marinate in Eyetalian dressing for about an hour and throw em on the grates. Thin fillet about a minute per side over a hot fire or thereabouts. If it looks done its done. One flip allowed. You can also marinate in a squirt or two of Frenchies mustart. Thats good too. Now it will make your cooker smell like dead fish for years. I cooked the warden some fish in Fred one time and on a hot day it still smells like dead fish in there. That was about 10 years ago or so. Its much mo betta to have the Little Bride roll it in cornmeal and fry it in the house. Dont stink up your pit..blah blah blah. Now do it stink up the house? Yes. On second thought fry it outside on your propane fish cooker. Just dont ever try to fry a whole turkey. That is very dangerous.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom