Free wood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justaguy

Sous Chef
My father in law has a small orchard and has been doing some cutting lately. I went down today and came home with all the free wood I wanted. Lots of peach, some cherry and I got a little apricot too. I've never used apricot wood before but I figured I'll give it a shot.

Sounds like a nice score. I purchased some red oak and cherry wood at a local firewood company today. It's been seasoned so it's ready to go but I've never used the cherry before. What do you like smoking with cherry and do you combine it with another wood for the smoke?

Interested to hear how the apricot smoke turns out.

I usually mix cherry with some hickory or pecan or both.

I use whatever wood I have for anything. But I'll almost always use cherry with pork. I'll usually use some hickory with it too.

I like to mix cherry and hickory/oak for pork, apple and hickory/oak for chicken or sausage and either combination for beef.

Be careful with the cherry it tends to turn your food a darker color if you use too much.

Bruce B said:
Be careful with the cherry it tends to turn your food a darker color if you use too much.
Be careful with the peach, it tends to make you curse a lot if you use too much. :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom