Practice chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ronbeaux50

Head Chef
Practice chicken is done! I made my make believe turn in time with minutes to spare.

img_211326_0_23afddaec9f8431613877de40c665e43.jpg

img_211326_1_df3eda913b077f8d508a55c338119783.jpg

Bite through skin achieved!
img_211326_2_e30097ff7b1f9c02cf01066c88053414.jpg

Ribs are still on the pit.

Looks mighty good Ron. Notice the skin a little splotchy appearing. Might want to figger out how to make em mo uniform in color. Some claim a purty chicken aint impotent but I aint neva seen anybody win with an ugly one. I heard a few stories of course. I know of one which hit at Hoots many moons ago which was blacker than the ace o spades. The fella claimed it tasted good on the inside. Guess it did:)

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Looks mighty good Ron. Notice the skin a little splotchy appearing. Might want to figger out how to make em mo uniform in color. Some claim a purty chicken aint impotent but I aint neva seen anybody win with an ugly one. I heard a few stories of course. I know of one which hit at Hoots many moons ago which was blacker than the ace o spades. The fella claimed it tasted good on the inside. Guess it did:)

bigwheel
I here ya. But after judging an IBCA contest I got to see how them judges hacked a chicken all to pieces with a plastic fork before the box got passed to the next judge in line. And judge #9 damm near didn't even get a piece!

So I try to cook big chickens!

I hear ya on the big chickens. Ya know roasters was the rage there for a short time. Then they figgered out you couldnt shut the lid on the trays then they say if it dont shut its marked blah blah blah. Old Joe Ames always preaching the flavor superiority of roasters over fryers. He claimed the roasters taste mo chickeny. This be if you can find a real roaster. What passes for roasters nowadays is bigger chickens of the same age which has outgrew their fryer brethrens. It supposed to be based on age as opposed to size.

bigwheel

Drat!!! Missed my make believe turn in time by 2 minutes. Work called.........

Had to disqualify myself....

img_211344_0_9681177489ee11339880bdab59d5685e.jpg

img_211344_1_63241757668a41d4fd596cbe6fc35337.jpg

img_211344_2_8add25f5cf54d870dcece1dfe328dc6a.jpg

Ribs & Birds look mighty good from here!
My chicken skin is almost always black :roll:

8)

Well I aint a very good parade rainer but cook the ribs a litle slower. 260 if your a temp gauge watcher. Meat down the entire time. Grand prize winners do not have the meat drawn back from the bone ends as displayed in the pic..aka climbing the bone. Large expanse of bone showing is a classic function of cooking them too fast. Will not win. Hope this helps.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Well I aint a very good parade rainer but cook the ribs a litle slower. 260 if your a temp gauge watcher. Meat down the entire time. Grand prize winners do not have the meat drawn back from the bone ends as displayed in the pic..aka climbing the bone. Large expanse of bone showing is a classic function of cooking them too fast. Will not win. Hope this helps.

bigwheel
Darn. My bad. My gauge must be off cause it said 240. But I did do them meat up, probably because my pit has the heat coming in from the top.

bigwheel said:
bigwheel

Well... that's one opinion. :|

Well it dont matter on the direction of heat with the meat side down theory. All a person needs to know is up from down. Now you have overcome all the forces of physics to get the heat attacking from the top down. Its a muracle:)

bigwheel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom