Seafood Gumbo from Relishmag.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigwheel

Master Chef
Lady at work gave me this recipe the other day. She has made it and says it very tasty. Haven't made it personally.

bigwheel

Seafood Gumbo

Mark Boughton Photography; styling by Teresa Blackburn

http://www.relishmag.com/recipes/view/4 ... gumbo.html

This gumbo starts with a medium-dark roux and the “Cajun Trinity”: diced celery, bell pepper and onion. The reserved shrimp shells take a quick bath in the clam juice and broth mixture, making the gumbo super flavorful.

Ingredients
3/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1 bay leaf, crushed
1 tablespoon salt
3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 cup diced bell pepper
1/2 cup diced white onion
1 cup sliced okra (about 1 pound)
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 quart reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 quart clam juice
1 1/2 pounds small or medium shrimp, peeled, shells reserved
1 (14-ounce) can fire-roasted tomatoes
2 cups fresh oysters, drained
1 pound lump crabmeat, shell pieces removed
1 pound frozen crawfish tail meat
8 cups cooked white rice
4 green onions, chopped
Instructions
1. Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Stir in flour; cook until smooth and darkened (about the color of a penny). Add thyme and next 10 ingredients (thyme through garlic). Cook until vegetables are tender. Remove from heat and cool about 30 minutes.
2. Bring chicken broth, clam juice and reserved shrimp shells to a boil in a large pot. Cook 10 minutes. Remove shrimp shells, and reserve stock.
3. Add vegetable mixture to stock and blend well. Cook until thickened. Add tomatoes, oysters, crab, crawfish and shrimp. Simmer 20 to 30 minutes. Serve over rice; sprinkle with green onions. Serves 16.

"Room in the Bowl," December 2009.

Nutritional Information
Per serving: 360 calories, 13g fat, 155mg chol., 27g prot., 33g carbs., 2g fiber, 1100mg sodium.
Relish is a division of Publishing Group of America, Inc. All content within this site is ©2006 of Publishing Group of America unless otherwise noted.

Well your quite welcome sir. Maybe somebody will make it one of these days and repoat with the results. Can see several tweakable areas.

bigwheel

If someone would make it I would be happy to taste test :LOL: Seems like one of those recipes Sapo could make in that big pot of his, I could at least drool over the video. It really does sound great.

Great such a nice recipe I use this one at my home when I was alone at my home. I like to cook very much and and also love to eat sea food...! Thanks for sharing such a nice recipe.......

Hi, just came across this post.... recipe looks great, I'm going to save it and hopefully try it out one of these days.
Thanks for posting !

Hey Freisian glad you commented on this. I had apparently not seen Bella's repoat. Glad to hear the formula was acceptable. Figgered it would be. The lady at work who gave me the recipe and link is a great cook former big time restaurant girl and caterer etc. I trust her judgement real highly:)

Back
Top Bottom