Butts cook just started! (with pics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain Morgan

Chef Extraordinaire
Doing a couple of butts to take with me to Charlotte this Sunday for a family reunion. Went by Sams and got a pack of 2. Came home, made some injection, which is a spicier, sweeter version of my my sauce. Injected, let sit for a while, then applied my rub to the top side. Layer by layer. Salt, then turbo, then cayenne, then black pepper, then paprika.
I sliced open the plastic to expose the top, but am letting it sit like that a little longer. In a while, I'll pull the butts from thier plastic (hoping more of the injection soaks in, and will rub the other side. Then jaccard, mustard, and a little more rub. Then straight to the WSM.

You'll notice I do a couple things different from most. I am proud to share my technique here for the first time. It ain't bad.

By the way, I love my new Maverick. It's 91 on my patio, heat index probably near a hundred. Now I don't have to go out and constantly check the temps!!

injection

Looks good, Capt. Any chance of swinging through Florence and picking up your "long-lost cousin" to take to the reunion?LOL Otherwise, I've got a "honey-do" list a mile long that I'm staring at as my weekend. Keep posting pics.

Susan, I only to the fat cap. I don't trim these at all....they're Sams in the 2 per pack deal, and it's trimmed enough for me. You know how some people cut diamonds in the fat/skin on a ham? Same reason I do it....let's it render down a little better, and drives some of the rub into the meat. Not a big deal, it just works for me.

Your technique sound interesting CM, I haven't tried injecting yet and layering on individual rub components should give you great control over quantities.

Looking forward to the rest of the pics!

"and it was said on that day, that forever more, this will be known as the Morgan Method."

After that, Jim Minion spent years trying to come up with a better technique, and eventually went mad. He retreated to the hills of Washington state, where he was shot by a hunter who mistook him for Bigfoot.

Morgan went on to become famous in the bbq world. After getting his own show on Food Network, he was fired after kicking Bobby Flay's ass backstage.

Stating his own network devoted only to bbq and grilling, Morgan recently opened a chain of Nascar themed bbq restaurants called
"The Pit Stop."

He was last seen in his hammock, counting his money, being served beer by a flock of bust-blessed beauties.

Captain Morgan said:
"and it was said on that day, that forever more, this will be known as the Morgan Method."

After that, Jim Minion spent years trying to come up with a better technique, and eventually went mad. He retreated to the hills of Washington state, where he was shot by a hunter who mistook him for Bigfoot.

Morgan went on to become famous in the bbq world. After getting his own show on Food Network, he was fired after kicking Bobby Flay's ass backstage.

Stating his own network devoted only to bbq and grilling, Morgan recently opened a chain of Nascar themed bbq restaurants called
"The Pit Stop."

He was last seen in his hammock, counting his money, being served beer by a flock of bust-blessed beauties.
:lmao:

You must be smoking bud, not butts!

My favorite picture of Cappy

viewpic.cfm
[/url]
[/img]

Captain Morgan said:
picture coming soon of me in my hammock to make Jack jealous!

I was in the hammock at 4:20 today. Wally's version of the forth of July happened for me. I chased tri tip around town. I heard that Food Lion was handeling them in the Charleston area. I was not successful. SOMEBODY was missinformed. The market managers looked at me like I was from another planet. Tomorrow I think I'll fire off the Joe and cook a variation of Jumpin' Jim's chicken and some ribs. I gotta get in tune for Bamberg.

Good luck with the butts. I look forward to reading your book and watching your full feature video on butt cooking soon! :grin:

I can't figure out why you people spend so much money on thermometers. It's done when it's done!! :razz:

Good Q!

Jack

Jack, Costco had Tri-tip last time I was in there (week and 1/2 ago). If you want to go...
Email me tomorrow before lunch and I'll meet you over there if you don't have a card. Having lunch at G&M downtown. You can join me for that too. :!:

Finney said:
Jack, Costco had Tri-tip last time I was in there (week and 1/2 ago). If you want to go...
Email me tomorrow before lunch and I'll meet you over there if you don't have a card. Having lunch at G&M downtown. You can join me for that too. :!:

If I go downtown tomorrow it will be to walk the bridge. I figure it's going to be a mad house on both sides. I think my Costco card is still good. Are they raw or premarinated Tri's.

Inquiring minds and all!

Jack

Jack W. said:
Finney said:

If I go downtown tomorrow it will be to walk the bridge. I figure it's going to be a mad house on both sides. I think my Costco card is still good. Are they raw or premarinated Tri's.

Inquiring minds and all!

Jack

Raw!!!! I wouldn't have told you about them if they were premarinated.

I won't be anywhere near that stupid bridge tomorrow. I am so tired of hearing about that bridge. All it is going to do is bring more people to an already congested and overpriced area. :-X The prices in Mt. Pleasant are already going up because of that bridge and they were already 2x too high.

Finney said:
Jack W. said:
Finney said:

Inquiring minds and all!

Jack

Raw!!!! I wouldn't have told you about them if they were premarinated.

I won't be anywhere near that stupid bridge tomorrow. I am so tired of hearing about that bridge. All it is going to do is bring more people to an already congested and overpriced area. :-X The prices in Mt. Pleasant are already going up because of that bridge and they were already 2x too high.

Thanks for the (tri) tip !

Jack

Back
Top Bottom