Salting mburger meat 101

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thought a Chicago dog was in my future, but that last burger looks sooooo good! I guess it is a long weekend, I can do them both :) Thanks for sharing JB, I have seen the steak salting, but not this burger info.

Good stuff. My dad would salt one side of the burger, then put the salted side down on the grill then put salt on the other side. Works for me since I was 12 years old.

Thanks for the link Boy. Always wondered how that hamburger meat turned itself into sausage and now I know. Now if I could only figger out if the little light stays on in the icebox after the door is closed. You know anything about that kinda bizness? Thanks.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Thanks for the link Boy. Always wondered how that hamburger meat turned itself into sausage and now I know. Now if I could only figger out if the little light stays on in the icebox after the door is closed. You know anything about that kinda bizness? Thanks.

bigwheel

They got a little fella in there what turns it off at nite :D

Ahhh Ok whew. Now that sounds plausible because there is also a little man which resides inside poleece radars or so I heard. I can now start trying to figger out other impotent stuff. Thanks.

bigwheel

Well the conventional wizdumb would seem to indicate not to salt beans till they is nearly cooked cuz adding salt early with give them a tough skin. So most folks thinks that is true I think. Now my dearly deceased MIL made the best Pintos on earth using water salt and beans and she also put a Tablespoon of salt in em when they first started cooking. Now she did not put salt in the soak water and she only soaked for one hour. She kept a tea kettle simmering to add water if needed. I only found out recently she put a T. of sugar in em too..somewhere during the process.

bigwheel

the new wisdom is that salt in the soaking water does not penetrate
the beans meat, thus giving it the grainy, mealy texture.
It does however affect the surface of the bean, so when it cooks,
the beans become more tender and plump. In fact, my beans are soaking
right now.

It's important to rinse well after soaking, to get rid of the salt.

Well this is fast turning into a version of Burl Ives old song about the lady who swallered the fly..then she of course had to swaller a spider to catch the fly..then she had to swaller every critter in the barnyard to eat the previous critter etc. Sorta like making a Turkdunken seems like to me. Now here we go with the salt. We got to use it but got to get rid of it too. This is very cornfusing :?

bigwheel

Well I went and re read that old post and see where the young gentleman mentioned soaking the beans in salt water but didn't notice any times vs amounts techniques etc. Guess somebody have to find a crow bar to pry the info outta his tight lipped coola:)

bigwheel

I'm with Bigwheel on the bean saltin, On the Camelia brand they sell here in La. the instructions say to salt after the 1st hour of cooking.

If beans are old/stale they will never git tender. Allways grab a bag from the back of the shelf, them sneaky stock boys put the fresh ones there.

I even bought a old bag of frozen beans before. I brung em back to the store too in a damm zip lock :shock:

America’s Test Kitchen recently advocated soaking beans in salt water (three tablespoons table salt and one gallon water) for 8 to 24 hours before cooking. Drain and rinse to remove remaining salt, then cook as usual in unsalted water until tender.

Back
Top Bottom