My First St. Louis Spares

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bbquzz

Master Chef
It was a beautiful day in Ohio that could not be wasted so I ran out and got a rack of spares from the local super store. Having never done spares I watched Chris Allingham's (TVWB) video on how to trim St Louis spares. Cut them down, rubbed the with some SuckleBusters Hoochie Mama and got them on the WSM.

Here they are out of the bag.

After the trim down.

Rubbed'em down.

Ready to smoke.

A couple hours in.

Thanks to the CyberQ II I can watch the game and the WSM all at the same time.

Ready to eat. Actually already at the trimmed meat at halftime and the smaller half before taking this picture. College football makes me hungry.

All in all it was a good Saturday, Hokies won, Buckeyes won and may first St. Louis spares came out tasting great.

That's a nice day you had there. Good looking ribs too! :)

The good thing about Saturdays is they're followed by Sundays!!! :D :D :D

Here's to Sundays! :D

Big Bears BBQ said:
Looks pretty good.............. how's the rub ??? have not seen that in my area......

Saw Surfinsapo use it, if he like it, it has to be good. I had to buy it on line. I think it is better on PP, not sure I would use it on ribs again.

Great looking ribs! I bought the sucklebusters sample pack a few weeks ago. I have not tried anything yet though.

Those ribs look great. I would definitely take down five or six bones of that. I need to give the rub a try.

Nice Job! :D

Looks great, Buzz! I must say, that is the first time I have ever seen anyone actually put a probe in their ribs for temperature. Did you have a target internal you were trying to hit? Usually I just pick them up in the middle of the rack and if the meat starts to crack I take them off...there done! ;) :D :D

Greg Rempe said:
Looks great, Buzz! I must say, that is the first time I have ever seen anyone actually put a probe in their ribs for temperature. Did you have a target internal you were trying to hit? Usually I just pick them up in the middle of the rack and if the meat starts to crack I take them off...there done! ;) :D :D

Being the "Techie" with the Cyber Q II, I can use it, so I did. I was shooting for 170°, but usually just look for pull back and the crack test. I act like I do it all the time, I think this was my 5th or 6th rib cook. I'm always looking for tips.

Well I got different idears on that pullback theory. In my view If they is cooked propaply there aint gonna be noticeable pull back at all. The pullback is a feature of cooking them too quick..temps too high etc. It is also known as climbing the bone. It aint any indicator of doneness as far as I know. Now when you see any pulled back to a copious degree it means the ribs is gonna tougher than a boot and full of blobs of unrendered fat. Just my .02 of course.

bigwheel

Well I aint sure about the bend test. I use the "tear test." When I get to thinning they might be getting close to getting done..I puts on my big black dish washing rubber gloves and pull apart on two adjacent ribs in the middle of the rack. If the meat between the bones tear fairly easy or it try to pull plumb away from the bone. They is done. Time to wrap em and let em swelter in the hotbox for one hr. minimum...preferably about 3 hrs. Cool down as gradual as possible/feasible to slightly above ambient temps and throw em back on the fire for a glaze. That will give a person grand prize winners. Hit them with some mo rub once they is sliced...unless you using Harley's Sweet Rib Rub. It is not a good one to apply to cooked meat in my view. Leaves a yellow stain of little balls for some reason. Give them last dusting with Headcountry All Purpose. It plays with cooked meat real well. Also does well on raw meat:)

bigwheel

Thanks for the tips guys. If it were not turkey week I think I'd run out and get another rack or two and do a little practicing. I'm sure in another week I'll be real tired of turkey and ready for more ribs. I won't mind trying some of Bigwheel's killer ribs.

One last question JamesB. I am using a WSM, if I were to be doing several racks should I "crack test" each rack? I assume "ribs are like women" each rack is unique, and each may require more or less attention :)

Back
Top Bottom