Resting, WHat s Up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bknox

Head Chef
Cicero, IL, but my heart is in Virginia where my f
I usually will let a lion or a butt rest for a half hour or maybe less. What do you guys think is an appropriate amount of time. I have heard up to 2 hours, does it make a difference? This goes for 4 lbs of loin as well.

Thanks in advance.
Bryan

Have no idea as to what the advantage really is. I usually pull when cool enough to use latex gloves. Have never really seen a difference whether pulled when hand burning hot or a cpl hour rest and cool to the touch. I can see it for slicing any meat as it will slice easier after cooling/resting.
dj

From what I know, resting is just letting residual heat work, and letting juice redistribute. Be careful with the leaner cuts though (pork loin), if they sit to long they might overcook themselves.

Thats why I rest meat to redistribute the liquids. I was wondering if you could do it to long. Typically a large chunk o meat will gain 7 or so degrees after removing from heat so I will take a pork loin off at 155 if I can keep on it.

Is there a reason to rest for several hours or is there anyone who does this and has noticed a greater result like more tender. I want t know as my next pork butt has new guidelines per what I gain from this forum but want to see what every one else does as far as resting.

I let them rest until it is cool enough to eat and they are always good...

bknox said:
Thats why I rest meat to redistribute the liquids. I was wondering if you could do it to long. Typically a large chunk o meat will gain 7 or so degrees after removing from heat so I will take a pork loin off at 155 if I can keep on it.

Is there a reason to rest for several hours or is there anyone who does this and has noticed a greater result like more tender. I want t know as my next pork butt has new guidelines per what I gain from this forum but want to see what every one else does as far as resting.

Try pulling that pork loin sooner. I yank mine at 140* and let them rest. They are fine to eat at 145*

Nick, Typically that is close to what I do, usually around 160 and it climbs to almost 166 ish. i have noticed people letting it go to 190 or so which I am will ing to try but think they get to charred on the outside at that time and temp. Sticking to my guns with the lower temp but may try resting closer to an hour in an insulated cooler.

Going to be making pulled Chicken for tomorrow and I know chicken.

Thanks all. :D

bknox said:
I usually will let a lion or a butt rest for a half hour or maybe less. What do you guys think is an appropriate amount of time. I have heard up to 2 hours, does it make a difference? This goes for 4 lbs of loin as well.

Thanks in advance.
Bryan

:shock:

How big is your pit?

bknox said:

Thanks in advance.
Bryan

so I'm guessing it was just a cub?

It's VERY important that you let them rest for two hours.

Why?

Cuz that's the way I've been doing it for years! You don't expect me to change now do ya? :LOL:

eh...an hour will do...I also let it rest upside down (than what it was on the smoker)

Captain Morgan said:
bknox said:

Thanks in advance.
Bryan

so I'm guessing it was just a cub?
LOL!

Think a person should let it rest opposite to the earths magnetic field from the direction it was cooked. That is if it was cooked facing the N. Pole it should rest facing the S. Pole. Figger all that reverse magnetism will realign the iron in the red blood cells of the meat and untangle the neurons in the nerves etc. Bound to make it mo tender.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Think a person should let it rest opposite to the earths magnetic field from the direction it was cooked. That is if it was cooked facing the N. Pole it should rest facing the S. Pole. Figger all that reverse magnetism will realign the iron in the red blood cells of the meat and untangle the neurons in the nerves etc. Bound to make it mo tender.

bigwheel
This from a guy that pokes the meat to see if it's done. :LOL:

bigwheel said:

bigwheel

I agree. That's why I never barbecue without a compass.

Dang Dave..thanks for that voice of reason crying out in the wilderness type mentality. Thinking maybe you got some Tejas genes and/or chrosome type deals contained in the old Earth Suit. Now is this hot or warm? Now if not don't worry. I have known a lot of real smart yankee fellers too. I like them big Crawdads yall got up in your geography. Now if you aint near the Ocean..I take all this back of course:) I aint in no condition to go Goggling up maps of yankeeland. Sorry about that. I know my best old pal who actually been there several times say if you want good seafood Boston was a must do adventurel. Figger if I ever get up there might as well swing by and have Tea with the Kennedys while I'm in town. May grandpa swooned over JKF like the folks in the minoroity and other left wing liberals are swooning over Prez Osama. Reckon you could get me an invite out to the Compound in Hayenias Port? Thanks.

bigwheel

ps..I know yall have a real famous diet that I have heard of too. Good job!! Sure would have liked to have had a few shooters with old Ted and went out womanizing with John Sr. Now would not have wanted to have went flying with John Jr. He apparently wasn't too good at it...course airplanes skeer me to death anyway..so I prob wouldnt have went if he had axed me. Tell me whut you think.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom