Muffaletta binge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ronbeaux50

Head Chef
It's big dudes falt!

I just had to have one. First I had to make the right kind of bread. It's a Sicilian bread and it has to be good because the recipe called for lard!!

img_199276_0_9db0abab1fdc526b0fc1f70e42718bf3.jpg

Blasted at 425 for 10 minutes then lowered the oven to 375 until it got this color

img_199276_1_8b943780f1ff3312604d3b1d9a342fd1.jpg

Now the fun part! First coated each side with the oil out of the olive salad jar, then stacked on salami, pastrami, ham, prochuito, provolone and mozzerela cheese, and a generous helping of olive salad.

img_199276_2_94205358f3235540631bf330e38a18f4.jpg

Then wrapped up to sit for awhile and let the ingredients all get comfortable.

img_199276_3_a37464f40ed56a0ba25ecea88aa969d0.jpg

I'll cut into it tonight for dinner!

Now you talkin, The rite bread makes the Muff a Muff, otherwise it an Italian sandwich

It's all about the bread. I so wish I could get the restaurants here to understand that. A big thumbs up on making the bread. Would you be inclined to share the recipe so that a feller in the middle of a muffaleta wasteland might make one too?

Nice sammich!! Do you deliver? :)

Mmm, the olive salad makes the sandwich.

--John
(I wouldn't have thought to wrap it and rest it in the fridge, but that's what they do at Central Grocery. :idea: )

Sorry. Been away, again.

Muffuletta Bread Recipe

1 Cup Warm Water (110 degrees F)
1 Tbsp Active Dry Yeast
1 Tbsp Granulated Sugar
2 Cups All Purpose Flour
1 Cup Bread Flour
1 1/2 tsp Iodized Salt
2 Tbsp Lard or Vegetable Shortening
Sesame Seeds
3 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil

For the Egg Wash:
1 Egg
2 Tbsp Cold Water

Combine the water, yeast and sugar in the workbowl of a stand mixer, stir well and let stand for 5-10 minutes or until good and foamy. Meanwhile, combine the flours, salt, and lard in a bowl and work in the fat with your hands until broken up into very small pieces. When the yeast is foamy, fit the mixer with a dough hook attachment and gradually add the flour on low speed until its all incorporated. Scrape the sides down between additions. When the dough comes together, turn it onto a floured work surface and knead until smooth and elastic, 5-10 minutes, adding more flour if necessary.. Alternatively, you can let the machine do the work, but for me, bread is a touch thing. Coat a large bowl with the Olive Oil, then put the dough in, turning once to coat both sides. Cover loosely with a clean dry towel, or plastic wrap. Let the dough rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1-1/2 hours. Punch the dough down and shape into a flat round about 9 inches across (it will expand to about 10″.) Place the dough on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Sprinkle the top with sesame seeds, about 2-3 Tbsp should do it, then press them lightly into the dough. Loosely cover the loaf and let rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour. When the dough has risen, remove the cover, gently brush with the egg wash then gently place into a preheated 425 degree F oven for 10 minutes. Turn the heat down to 375 degrees F for an additional 25 minutes or until it’s golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped.

I didn't use a mixer and it takes a good 15 minutes to work up the dough.

Thanks for the recipe. I would be tempted to turn the bread moochine loose on this proposition using the dough setting. Now all we seem to be lacking is the olive salad formulation. Thanks.

bigwheel

Well alrighty then. I didn't use this stuff in the recipe. I got mine from Meterie already made up.

But here is the one listed:

Muffuletta Olive Salad Recipe

1 1/2 Cups Green Olives, Pitted
1/2 Cup Calamatta Olives (or Black) Pitted
1 Cup Gardiniera (Pickled Cauliflower, Carrots, Celery, Pepperoncini)
1 Tbsp. Capers
3 each Fresh Garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1/8 Cup Celery, thinly sliced
1 Tbsp. Italian Parsley, finely chopped
1 Tbsp. Fresh Oregano (When I have it in my garden) or 2 tsp. dried
1 tsp. Crushed red pepper flakes
3 Tbsp. Red Wine Vinegar
1/4 Cup Roasted red peppers (Recipe follows)
1 Tbsp. Green Onions, thinly sliced
Kosher Salt & Freshly Ground pepper To Taste (salt may not be necessary)

Crush each olive on a cutting board with your hand. Combine all ingredients. Cover with:

Extra Virgin Olive Oil about 1 – 1 1/2 Cups

Put into a bowl or jar, cover and let the flavors marry for about one week.

Roasted Red Peppers

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees

Place 2 Red bell Peppers (remove the blasted sticker!) on a baking sheet, place in the oven. In 15-20 minutes flip it over. Leave it in the oven for another 15-20 minutes. Remove from the oven, place in a container and cover with plastic wrap. Let stand for about 10-15 minutes, this makes the skin come off more easily. Uncover and remove all of the skin, stem and seeds, careful they’re hot! Refrigerate. Great in a number of dishes, Paella, Jambalaya, Sauteed Chorizo or Andouille, Olive salad, you name it.

Thanks for the recipes, RB. The one time Jody and I split half a muffaletta (they are about the size of a skillet, after all!) at Central Market, I thought it needed more meat. Yours looks like it has a better measure of meat. Very nice job.

--John

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom