Best $10 I've ever spent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
Grilling pizza has been my Achilles heel.....I spent $30+ a couple weeks ago, made my own dough, etc.....made 3 pizzas and burnt everyone of them. So I bought 10 Celeste pizzas for $1 each to practice with..........Got 3 out tonight added cheese to each. My wife had the Deluxe, Cathryn had the 3 Cheese and I had the veggie. I added extra cheese and garlic to each but took mine to a different level and added 5 grilled shrimp (from last night, cut in half) and 3 grilled scallops cut in half...grilled at 400º on a pizza stone on top of 2 firebricks set on their side for 15 minutes. A $1.00 pizza ended up tasting like a $100 pizza, incredible!!!

I also did 2 Harmanns German Smoked sausages (as back up), topped with Bavarian Style Kraut. GREAT DINNER!!!

img_198453_0_56959925d91e3ddae303ef2b1d54102e.jpg
img_198453_1_b86be479dbe7d776f96eb8d7ea836bb6.jpg
img_198453_2_5b2e8da1879795fa614ddd4160f53ab2.jpg
img_198453_3_a3d8cb7e60f0c91f9f460bc804e6ca7f.jpg
img_198453_4_ddac986b6a4a5e6c70095679c5ca417b.jpg
img_198453_5_eaaf6e5d85f73a3e3573d3c1368d7c6c.jpg

img_198453_6_d8bd2cee796248c3de471c7825a5f308.jpg
img_198453_7_d59f281586b6d6da8f87a05588c75d52.jpg
img_198453_8_82c3de8fdc4a5f2e809e1a14f2214a01.jpg
img_198453_9_6b8a24a3690fde259bb1807b0cd4fb20.jpg
img_198453_10_0e102c7967c93ea5b4c83125eebf7fa4.jpg

Now I could get with that program purty fast. Now in an ideal world my Pizzer would have japs and anchovies on it. Eating that particular type of Americkan food just don't taste right if it lacking in the aforesaid addendums. Now I would eat it anyway most likely. Just would enjoy it not quite as much. Must have something to do with my Eyetalian heritage.

bigwheel

That looks killer! Is there anything you can't make look great? We should have a contest to see if anyone can think of something Larry can't make better.

Larry I've said it before.....Man you are always thinking...great idea...great lookin' pizza! Ms Bluzque has one of those Pampered Chef stone discs she uses to toast up fresh deli garlic, french, etc breads in the oven. Guess who's gonna snatch it & cart it up to the garage/ cookshack/hangout ;)

:D 8) :D

Cliff H. said:
Larry,

Why did you elevate the pizza stone ?

If you saw the last pizzas I BURNT you'd see why! LOL

Cliff, it's just to get the pizza away from the heat and it also helps cook the top of the pizza as well.

good idea on the practice pizzas....I might try some frozen
pizzas on the grill....I've always been scared about burning
em too.

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Cliff H.":217kbebq]Larry,

Why did you elevate the pizza stone ?

If you saw the last pizzas I BURNT you'd see why! LOL

Cliff, it's just to get the pizza away from the heat and it also helps cook the top of the pizza as well.[/quote:217kbebq]
I believe the proper term around here is charred. ;)

Smart to notice that little tidbit there Senor Poofster :shock: Now I like French Bread pizzers. Don't have to worry about the foo foo dough etc. It just seems to give a Continental type ambience if you get my drift. Wee wee?

bigwheel

nice ... have to get me one of those pizza stones ...is that a wsm pro ur doing that on ?

They look great Larry. The bigest problem with grilling pizza is the heat that's lost when you open the pit. The stone stays hot but the doam temp is gone/lost. Your idea of lowering the cooking temp a good one, that allows for a longer cooking time. This gets the topping done in the same time the crust is ready. Pizza joints use high temp pizza ovens to get pies cooked fast. This allows them more finished product per hour=$$$
Their ovens are heavy fire brick lined & don't lose heat rapidly when opened. Or they use a wood or coal fired doamed pizza ovens which have no door at all.
Larry your Primo may be a better choice for pizza due to its thick ceramic walls & lid. You would still lose some doam heat when opened but it should recover quickly due to the heavy top. If you don't have a pizza peel, get one. Then have a helper lift the lid "just enough" to slip in & out the pies. The quicker you open & close that lid will make a big difference on how fast & evenly the pies cook.

007bond-jb said:
They look great Larry. The bigest problem with grilling pizza is the heat that's lost when you open the pit. The stone stays hot but the doam temp is gone/lost. Your idea of lowering the cooking temp a good one, that allows for a longer cooking time. This gets the topping done in the same time the crust is ready. Pizza joints use high temp pizza ovens to get pies cooked fast. This allows them more finished product per hour=$$$
Their ovens are heavy fire brick lined & don't lose heat rapidly when opened. Or they use a wood or coal fired doamed pizza ovens which have no door at all.
Larry your Primo may be a better choice for pizza due to its thick ceramic walls & lid. You would still lose some doam heat when opened but it should recover quickly due to the heavy top. If you don't have a pizza peel, get one. Then have a helper lift the lid "just enough" to slip in & out the pies. The quicker you open & close that lid will make a big difference on how fast & evenly the pies cook.

JB, thank you for all of the advice and it would have certainly come in handy had my pizzas been a failure as in past attempts. However, I don't think I can recall ever making a better pizza than those three that I grilled on the Weber.

I mean, the crusts were crisp on the outside, but not burnt. The dough was tender, but thoroughly cooked. The cheese and additional cheese was thoroughly melted. How would a Primo have cooked them any better? I honestly am my worst critic, but I was very pleased with how these pizzas turned out. So much so that I was day dreaming today about making homemade pies this weekend. If they turn out half as good as the ones here, I will be very happy.

BTW, I haven't had a Primo in over a year now and honestly I have not missed either of them one bit. Not talking bad about them, but put price aside, the Weber kettles and WSM will produce a FAR SUPERIOR product over a Primo 10 x out of 10.

Also, what the phuck is a doam? :LOL:

Yall need one of them fancy electric pizzer cooker gizmos like my DIL had in his beer joint. Just slide it in there and it gets hammered from top and bottom simultaneously. Dang thangs cost about 300 bucks a pop and that back in the good old days. Prob real pricey nowadays since them commie godless heatherns like Prez Osama and Nancy Peolsi has wrecked the economy.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom