makin' bacon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Griff

Master Chef
I made some buckboard bacon and back (Canadian) bacon last weekend. The first pic is after 10 days curing and rinsed off. The second pic is after smoking and a little buckboard sliced. The third pic shows some sliced back bacon as well.

Man O man Griff that looks absolutely wonderful. Is it a difficult process? I would love to try making it sometime as I know my boy would love it.

Also, you asked about my sons arm in a earlier post of mine, well he went to see the doctor today and the doc was very pleased with his progress. However, he did say that it could take up t a year for the nerve damage to repair it's self so his pinky and ring finger still look like a claw. Overall good new s though :)

Yep, you're right Cliff about getting ready for winter. It's right around the corner.

Toby, making bacon is pretty easy. You cure it for 10 to 14 days in the refer. A lot of guys use High Mountain dry cure. I use a wet cure I make myself using Morton Tenderquick, maple syrup, apple cider, and molasses (a few other spices, mostly pepper). Then soak it in cold water with frequent changes and smoke at a low temp with hickory until the internal temp is 140*.

Good job Griff looks excellent. I tried the Buckboard Bacon thang once upon a time myself. Came out mo closer to country ham flavor and texture wise. Not bad but not readily cornfused with bacon for some reason. I musta been lacking the secret recipe..hint hint.

bigwheel

Here's the recipe. I copied it from my recipe file. Only difference is that it was not snowing this time. :LOL: :LOL:
Here's my recipe.

Buckboard Bacon

I started with 2 smallish boned out pork butts and one pork loin which I cured in liquid in a plastic container in the frig for 14 days. The cure was:
1/2 package of Morton's Tender Qiuck (1 lb)
1.5 cups of maple syrup
.5 cup of molasses
.5 gal of apple cider
.25 cup of coarse ground black pepper
I didn't have to add any water to cover the meat but you might need to depending on the container, etc. I turned the meat every day.

At the end of 14 days, I rinsed the meat multiple times in cold water and soaked it in cold water for 24 hours changing the water frequently. Then I patted the meat dry and rubbed to taste with more coarse black pepper. I let it set at room temperature until it got that glazed look (pellicle), about 1.5 hours. I smoked it at a dome temperature of 200 until the meat reached an internal temp of 140. This took about 5 hours with my weather conditions -- ~25 degrees and snowing. I started with 3/4 of a chimney of lit coals and never added any more. I used 5 fist sized chunks of hickory, 2 right off the bat and 3 later on. Then it was slice, fry, and vacuum pack the rest.

Back
Top Bottom