Loin ribs didn't work this time!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shawn White

Sous Chef
I'm kinda stunned to be honest that you did backs for 2 hours in foil WITH juice and they still aren't soft enough for you. Did you remove the membrane? Do you have teeth? :grin:

To each his own though. It ain't wrong, just that I wouldn't foil backs for more than an hour (NO juice). I guess I just like more 'tooth' to the rib.

Try using a little more juice, try something acidic like pineapple and leave them foiled longer.

sorry, still having trouble accepting it ...

are you sure the juice didn't leak out? was the foil tightly wrapped around the ribs?

the last time I did backs with juice and foil (for 90 minutes) they were falling apart as I tried to sauce them on the grill

well better luck next time ... I'll leave the troubleshooting to the experts

I've only been at this a year and maybe a dozen or so rib cooks ...

Here is a link to a recipe I love Competition Ribs. I wouldn't foil for more than an hour though.

Sometimes you just don't get enough marbling.

As for the saltiness: One of the reasons I always make my own rubs is that I can make them without salt. I prefer to salt the meat first, allow the meat to sit while I'm mixing the rub and get nice and moist looking, then I apply the rub over the salt. That way I can apply as much or as little as I want without worrying about salt levels.

What restaurants call Baby Back's are acutally Loin Back's.

Where did you get your Loin Back's cruising? Sam's Club has good quality.

Check out the ingrediants in Emerils Rub. I'd bet the first ingrediant listed is salt!

What, I do with ribs is to strip the membrane, add a little worcestershire sauce, add my rub to the ribs, wrap in saran wrap overnight. In the morning before they go on I add a generous coating of brown sugar, wait until the sugar turns to a molassis consistincy, add a final sprinkling of rub and place on the pit for about 4 1/2 - 5 1/2 hours at temps between 225 to 250. Don't spritz with apple juice until at least half way through the cook. No need to foil loin backs. The ribs are done when the meat has receded about a quarter inch from the bone and the rack will start to break under their own weight when you lift them.

I've had some hammy, salty ones in the past too. Probably enhanced or too salty a rub. The mustard shouldn't have any effect on your salty taste.

Try, try again. Don't give up on loin backs because of this one cook. As Alton Brown would say, They're Good Eats!

SIX HOUR AND THEY WEREN'T DONE?????????? Something is afowl here! Loin backs should be done in 4-4.5 easy. Are you certain of your temps?

Al, true baby backs are available at our local store, but they are VERY small and expensive. A hungry person could eat 2 racks! Woody

Sounds like a plan Cruising

I highly recommend S&P ribs ... try some ribs with a light sprinkle of kosher salt and coarse black pepper

I did that with some spares early this year and we LOVED them

ribs don't have to be rubbed, juiced, sprayed, mopped then drowned in sauce to be good

Crusing, keep it simple. Work on the texture first with a little salt and pepper. After you get your times and temps right, you can play with additional flavors in the rub. Salt and pepper cooked right will taste great!Lots of ingredients cooked $hitty will taste $hitty!

Cruising said:
Thanks for the suggestion. So just a light dust of salt and pepper (not a real rub) .... and get the ribs coming off ummm ummmm good - then play with the rubs :)

I bet you will like them ... if nothing else it will give you a baseline to start with. You can always add a little sauce on the side if you want. But if it sounds to plain for ya go back to your rub.

I think what Kevin and Bryan were suggesting is that too much salt dried your ribs out and that's why they didn't seem tender enough. So use rub with less salt and do so sparingly.

Cruising said:
...I'm also going to visit a packing company tomorrow and try and pick up either beef ribs or a full brisket for the weekend.
Hope that works out for ya. I found a small packing plant a few miles from my home that also does retail. I've been pretty pleased overall, great prices and fantastic butts.

They haven't quite figured out what 'packer brisket' or 'chuck roll' should be. Last time I got a chuck roll they gave me a whole boneless blade ... close but I don't think it's quite right. Next time, I'll take pics and meat charts.

I have to preorder a couple of days, and buy quantity to get the best prices but that's ok with me.

Oh yeah, baby backs are loin backs ... they just come from smaller animals and are loosely considered BBs at 1.75 lbs/slab or less.

Back
Top Bottom