Diva Q write up In a Toronto Local News Paper (Toronto Sun)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve McMurtry

Senior Cook
Just stumbled across this while reading the paper!
Way to go Diva!! :D

Is it true that grilling's a guy's game? A recent Leger Marketing barbecue trends survey conducted on behalf of Weber-Stephen Products showed men continue to rule the fire. But don't tell that to Ontario BBQ Champion Danielle Dimovski, also known as Diva Q, mom to three and a real kick-butt barbecue pro who "had to laugh when I read about men topping women in the barbecue department ... it's a little known fact the Ontario BBQ Champion is actually female."

Throughout the years Dimovski, who admits to an "insatiable thirst for knowledge on all things barbecue" and has travelled extensively, including venturing to Texas, has won numerous awards for her excellent fare.

"My tag line is always 'my kitchen is my playground,' -- and I am a big fan of experimenting," said Dimovski from her Barrie home. "I have travelled as far south as Texas to taste and learn about different types of barbecue. This can be a real eye opener as regional differences make barbecue unique in each place."

Dimovski, who currently has 12 barbecues, says "I started barbecuing years ago but it was not until the Canadian Open BBQ championships in Barrie three years ago that I really fell in love with all things barbecue. I started at an amateur level (ribs only), then started competing at the professional level (ribs, pork, chicken, brisket) in 2007," with her team of hubby Vlado and friends Louisa and John helping out.

In 2008, the team won a total of four Grand Championships. In addition "we were named the Ontario Series BBQ Champions for the Ottawa and Paris wins. From that win we earned a coveted invitation to the Jack Daniels Invitational barbecue competition in Lynchburg, Tenn. -- where we were the Top International Team for 2008."

Dimovski spends her days juggling family, barbecue demos and even teaching classes on this. She barbecues year-round almost every day (snow is a great insulator) and even shares her experiences on her blog (divaqBBQ.blogspot) and on twitter (DivaQBBQ).

Hearty cheers for Diva. I always like to know famous folks. I met Festus from Gunsmoke at a MD Telethon in Whiskeyta Falls back when the Dead Sea was still only sick. Even split a few beers Dr. DeBakey (sic) the famous heart surgeon from Jouston. Talk about a little prima donna spoiled brat temper tantrum throwing titty baby..whew.

bigwheel

I am honored to say I know people who have met you! ;) Great work! That is cool. Toronto is HUGE!!!!

That is great Diva. Real good write up.

I knew her when we got to hold her dessert entry while she fought back the hoards of people at The Jack. What a trip that was.

Thanks everybody!!!

WE are getting more press and some cool media opportunities. The next thing up for us is happening next week. A tv show for 1/2 hour where we teach the host how to BBQ. We will shoot for the entire day for the 1/2 hour segment. I'll let you know when it airs as it is a new show.

Additionally I will get the chance next month to BBQ with ROb Rainford from the Food Network at the Deerhurt resort in Huntsville Ontario. They are putting on an entire weekend filled with BBQing grilling beer tasting and wine tasting. Very cool to be able to do that.

Thanks for all your support. It is really fun for me to do this kind of stuff. I enjoy it immensely!!!

WTG Danielle! Your dream to be a TV name is coming true! Good luck with it all. I hope it all goes along as you have dreamed it will!

Back
Top Bottom