Grilled spares for the wife

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puff1

Chef Extraordinaire
My wife doesn't like ribs smoked low & slow. So I've been spending the last 2 or 3 years trying to find a rib she likes. Thanks to Larry I've found it!! :D
After seeing Larry's post about grilled spares I though I'd give it a try and I'll tell you what they are great! Totally different taste and texture. I made some smoked bones today too but they were no where near as good as the grilled ones. I only cooked a half rack to see if she liked them.
I did add a little bit of rub (sugar burned a bit :oops: ) and sauced them after charring. 2 thumbs up from the wife!
Thanks buddy!!

img_190146_0_176042270255b42892d267b95471cc29.jpg

img_190146_1_9877c7cefbd559ce09942fa2b03f5583.jpg

img_190146_2_1f140d10f4e7163ae5586222e5ceab33.jpg

Awesome Puff!! Try a couple without the sauce next time!! Very nice job!!! Three bean salad is one of my favorites!!

Hay bro very fine job, nice ring around dem-dar ribs ya be havin’
The pics are spot on as well Very Nice. Makes me want to smoke some ribs.

gtsum said:
looking good! I have been getting a little burned out on regular 4-5 hour smoked ribs, and these look the ticket! About what temp did you do them at? I assume you flipped them a few times?
Cooked them on the 22in. kettle. Had the temp around 350*-375*.
Yes I fleeped a few times.

john pen said:
My mom used to broil spare ribs with just salt and pepper..Puff, how long did it take ?

I'm not Puff (thank God) but both times I've done them they have take right at 3 hours.

They look great Puff. You have to watch out on fast cooks for grease fire's & flair ups

I'm pretty sure restaurants like maybe Applebees or Outback roast they baby backs in an oven, then slather sauce on em.

They may even Boil em 1st :x

great report! how tender were they? I'm thinking they may have
a bit more of a grilled flavor, which I really prefer over smokey.

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="john pen":asf2c67h]My mom used to broil spare ribs with just salt and pepper..Puff, how long did it take ?

I'm not Puff (thank God) but both times I've done them they have take right at 3 hours.[/quote:asf2c67h]
Just under 3. JP my Mom made em the same way.

Captain Morgan said:
I probably could have pulled them off a little sooner. Pretty close to fallin' off the bone. I think I like the flavor of these better than smoked. When I cut into them juice was pouring out too.

Anyone ever cook them at a comp this way?

Puff said:
Captain Morgan said:
I probably could have pulled them off a little sooner. Pretty close to fallin' off the bone. I think I like the flavor of these better than smoked. When I cut into them juice was pouring out too.

Anyone ever cook them at a comp this way?

I agree and really can't see myself in the future slow smoking ribs.......yes, I think grilled ribs are that much better!

I have got to try this method this weekend. The Kettle, by far, is my favorite grill.

Back
Top Bottom