Royal Oak Lump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I won't use their blue bag 'Star' lump product that we get up here, it has mineral coal ond god only knows what else in it ... if you use it make sure it is fully lit and in the WSM avoid it for MM cooks altogether

the BGE lump they make seems ok and I like their Plus briquettes

Been a long time since I seen any of the stuff for sale in these parts..but have used it in the past and it worked well. Seems like it was in the blue bag. Now their briquettes aint worth a *hit. Makes Kingsford look good in comparison..so you know they got to be bad. They come in a red bag I think.

bigwheel

Ok maybe its a orasnge bag. I gave it a shake and heard clanking so i figured id probably be alright....... :?:

I think ill prob keep it. Just because I dont want to drive back over there....so basically - cause i'm lazy. haha Also the only thing over there that I really need is beer at Tipsys and I picked up a fresh keg just after I bought the charcoal.

Hey, I gotta nother question for you guys. I have a charcoel ring 1/2 full of unburned Kingsford in my 18 WSM. Last time I cooked with 1/2 burned coals I had a temp spike that I've never seen before. So the question is

Is/ was that spike because partially burned coals produce a hotter heat when re-lit ? Ive never gotten my wsm that hot before it was around 325*

I like Royal Oak lump a lot. Just came home with another two bags this afternoon.

Probably what happened with your temp spike was that you adjusted the vents for how the 1/2 burnt charcoal was burning and then it hit some good/ unburnt and took off. But that's just a guess.

I started out with the 1/2 burned in the ring added some fresh coals on top then lit a chimney full and poured on for the mm. After those bottom ones (the 1/2 burned caught (it seems) they took off and i had to shut her down the best i could.

Back
Top Bottom