Recycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puff1

Chef Extraordinaire
My family started recycling a few weeks ago at the urging of my daughter that learned in Kindergarten that recycling is good for the earth.
We have curbside recycling in my neck of the woods. I am amazed at the amount of plastic, tin cans, and other recyclable material one family can produce in a week. We have nearly cut our "in the can" garbage in half. :shock:
I was just curious to see how many other folks recycle.

We were recycling...then the city I live in decided it was too expensive and pulled the bins. We still recycle paper, glass and aluminum on our own!

Puff said:
My family started recycling a few weeks ago at the urging of my daughter that learned in Kindergarten that recycling is good for the earth.
We have curbside recycling in my neck of the woods. I am amazed at the amount of plastic, tin cans, and other recyclable material one family can produce in a week. We have nearly cut our "in the can" garbage in half. :shock:
I was just curious to see how many other folks recycle.
We have recycled our cans, bottles, newspaper, mixed paper, cardboard, and brush trimmings, and have composted our kitchen waste for 40 years. We don't have a trash service. About once a month I go to the county dump and recycle center and pay my $3 (senior rate) fee. It's a good deal.

--John

Dallas that is a very interesting link.
Greg they were talking about doing away with the bins here too. If they do we'll still recycle without the benefit of a bin being picked up curbside.

This makes me think of a few years ago when we went down to Myrtle Beach to hang out with the BBQ brothers at Smoke On The Beach.
Beer cans were tossed into the garbage can, up here we get .10 a piece for them. I had a hard time throwing the cans away. :shock:

We recycle everything we can. We have two blue bins (plastics and aluminums) one grey bin (all papers and cardboard) and two different sizes of green bins for food waste. I stopped using the green bins last year because of the maggots. We would empty the small one every day but then the large bin in garage would fill completely with maggot by the time garbage day rolled around. The city advises us to put our food waste in the freezer for this but i dont have the space. We probably should compost but have not. All my meat bones go to Louisas two huskies.
We are charged for every garbage bag over 1 bag. Each tag costs $2.00.

I am not sure if the recycling is doing any good. recently there was an article that there are not enough facilities for them to process is. The best suggestion is typically to reduce consumerism overall and recycle more.

We've been doing paper and plastics/cans for years here. Every other week they take either the paper or the plastics/cans. I do believe that every now and then they just take the whole load to the incinerator and burn it all.

Puff said:
Greg they were talking about doing away with the bins here too. If they do we'll still recycle without the benefit of a bin being picked up curbside.

This makes me think of a few years ago when we went down to Myrtle Beach to hang out with the BBQ brothers at Smoke On The Beach.
Beer cans were tossed into the garbage can, up here we get .10 a piece for them. I had a hard time throwing the cans away. :shock:
So how many emptys did you take back with you :LOL:

I think if you feel that recycling is a good idea...you should do it.

If you think it's a big waste of time...don't do it.

We recycle tin and alum cans, plastic, glass, newspapers, magazines, cardboard, scrap steel and electronics. I'm a big supporter of the concept.

Nick Prochilo said:
We've been doing paper and plastics/cans for years here. Every other week they take either the paper or the plastics/cans. I do believe that every now and then they just take the whole load to the incinerator and burn it all.
What makes you think that?

wittdog said:
Puff said:

So how many emptys did you take back with you :LOL:
Been going back every month for the last 2 years with an empty truck. 8)

If you had purchased $1,000 of shares in Delta Airlines one year ago, you will have $49.00 today.

If you had purchased $1,000 of shares in AIG one year ago, you will have $33.00 today.

If you had purchased $1,000 of shares in Lehman Brothers one year ago, you will have $0.00 today.

But, if you had purchased $1,000 worth of beer one year ago, drank all the beer, then turned in the aluminum cans for recycling refund, you will have received a $214.00.

Based on the above, the best current investment plan is to drink heavily & recycle. It is called the 401-Keg.

ScottyDaQ said:
If you had purchased $1,000 of shares in Delta Airlines one year ago, you will have $49.00 today.

If you had purchased $1,000 of shares in AIG one year ago, you will have $33.00 today.

If you had purchased $1,000 of shares in Lehman Brothers one year ago, you will have $0.00 today.

But, if you had purchased $1,000 worth of beer one year ago, drank all the beer, then turned in the aluminum cans for recycling refund, you will have received a $214.00.

Based on the above, the best current investment plan is to drink heavily & recycle. It is called the 401-Keg.

My thoughts exactly... :LOL:

007bond-jb said:
ScottyDaQ said:

My thoughts exactly... :LOL:
At least you would have had a benifit before your money was pissed away..401Keg ;)

Puff said:
Nick Prochilo said:

People have seen the trucks with the newspapers at the incinerator!

Nick Prochilo said:
Puff said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":3jj58p7m]We've been doing paper and plastics/cans for years here. Every other week they take either the paper or the plastics/cans. I do believe that every now and then they just take the whole load to the incinerator and burn it all.
People have seen the trucks with the newspapers at the incinerator![/quote:3jj58p7m]
Sometimes the market isn't there for the recycle materials, and it may be too costly to stockpile the stuff until the market comes back.

--John

Unity said:
Nick Prochilo said:
Puff said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":2iz8wb69]We've been doing paper and plastics/cans for years here. Every other week they take either the paper or the plastics/cans. I do believe that every now and then they just take the whole load to the incinerator and burn it all.
People have seen the trucks with the newspapers at the incinerator!
Sometimes the market isn't there for the recycle materials, and it may be too costly to stockpile the stuff until the market comes back.

--John[/quote:2iz8wb69]
Kind of defeats the whole purpose. Pretty sad.

Back
Top Bottom