grilling in the snow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill The Grill Guy

Master Chef
Last night we celibrated my youngest daughters birthday at my folks house. It started snowing as we drove up and is still snowing now. Here are a few shots from my camera phone.

Wings are on.

My brother in action.

Wings are done.

Chicken Satay with peanut sauce.

Spicy Shrimp with roasted chile and avocado sauce.

Today:

Captain Morgan said:
I was just getting ready to ask for the recipe...sounds great...you got to roast your own peppers or do you buy them?

I roasted the peppers my self. The wife got some anaheims the other day and I put them on the Treager.

Snow??? Seems like I remember having a special shovel years ago - Wait, that was a coal shovel. Very nice spread with the food Bill, happy BD to daughter.

Pyro Jerry said:
avocado sauce recipe please ?

Shrimp with Roasted Chile and Avocado Sauce

Serves: 4 to 6
Prep time: 20 minutes

Way to grill: medium heat (350° to 450°F) and high heat (450° to 550°F)
Grilling time: 10 to 16 minutes
Special equipment: 8 to 10 flat-sided or round bamboo skewers,
soaked in water for at least 30 minutes

Sauce
3 Anaheim chile peppers, each about 6 inches long
1 medium Haas avocado
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh dill
1 large garlic clove
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Rub
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 teaspoon paprika
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

2 pounds large shrimp (21/30 count), peeled and deveined,
tails left on
Extra-virgin olive oil

1. Prepare the grill for direct cooking over medium heat. Brush the cooking grates clean. Grill the chile peppers over medium heat, with the lid closed as much as possible, until they are blackened and blistered in spots all over, 8 to 12 minutes, turning occasionally. Put the chiles in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let steam for 10 minutes. When cool enough to handle, remove and discard the stem ends, skins, and seeds. Drop the chiles into a food processor or blender. Add the remaining sauce ingredients. Process to create a smooth dipping sauce. If the sauce seems too thick, add a little water. Spoon the sauce into a serving bowl.

2. In a small bowl mix the rub ingredients.

3. Lay 5 to 7 shrimp on a work surface and arrange them so that the shrimp on one end lays one way and all the rest lay in the same direction. Choose shrimp that are the same size so that you can nestle them together with no empty spaces between them. This will help to keep the shrimp from spinning and prevent them from drying out on the grill. Pick up and skewer each shrimp through the middle, pushing the shrimp together on each skewer. Repeat the process with the remaining shrimp and skewers. Lightly brush or spray the skewers with oil and then season them evenly with the rub.

4. Increase the temperature of the grill to high heat. Brush the cooking grates clean. Grill the shrimp over high heat, with the lid closed as much as possible, until slightly firm on the surface and opaque in the center, 2 to 4 minutes, turning once. Remove from the grill and serve warm with the dipping sauce

Back
Top Bottom