Trail Bologna!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hillbilly1

Sous Chef
Trail Bologna!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well got the replacement tubes fer the stuffer, so last night I stuffed up the trail bologna, yesterday was super busy! Had ta blow snow (hopin we was done with that!), Cleaned up the slicer, slice corned beef an pastrami, vac packed all that, made bread, started supper, brined chickens, an stuffed sausage.

img_181389_0_6547d1b29cf56307ed84c74fef355f32.jpg

Here be 10 lbs in the smoker. Waitin fer a taste!

I gotta get the fridge smoker done fer projects like this an the hams an bacon. Springs comin, on the list a thins ta get done!

After the smoke I'll post some more q-view!

Looks good. Whut kinda casings is that if you dont mind a person being nosey? Thanks.

bigwheel

Ok thanks. Guess I always sprung for the brown colored version. Ya know the Beef Middle Casing makes a real good ring baloney holder...just a little to a lot mo narrow gauge..depending on the diameter of the baloney bags. Got to be cheaper. Seems like they was a buck a piece even back in the good old days. I gots a killer ring baloney recipe if you ever want it. Prob make a person throw rocks at that stuff you got:)

bigwheel

Final Q-view an a taste test.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

img_181419_0_cbe04b0c8e6306ccba4e070517452b66.jpg

Great color an texture, an boy does this stuff taste good! Little spicy fer momma, so I got a regular batch a summer sausage ta make fer her. Got a feelin gonna be lots more sausage makin in the future!

bigwheel said:
Ok thanks. Guess I always sprung for the brown colored version. Ya know the Beef Middle Casing makes a real good ring baloney holder...just a little to a lot mo narrow gauge..depending on the diameter of the baloney bags. Got to be cheaper. Seems like they was a buck a piece even back in the good old days. I gots a killer ring baloney recipe if you ever want it. Prob make a person throw rocks at that stuff you got:)

bigwheel
Post that recipie BW :LOL:

Not many know it, but trail bologna, gets it's name from the small town of Trail ,Ohio, down in the heart of the "Amish Belt", Holmes County. There is a company there, Troyer's Trail Bologna, who has a HUGE smokehouse where they make the stuff. The store out front is quite modest. They have a lunch counter where you can order up a fried bologna sandwich on whitebread. I prefer the large diameter stuff and buy some whenever I am in the area. JUst wanted to enlighten ya'll

http://www.merchantcircle.com/business/ ... 0-893-2414

Wow..did not know all that. I figgered it got the name cuz Roy and Gene carried it in their saddlebags when they hit the rusty trusty Trail on their faithful hosses. Now as far as the supposed recipe on how to make the stuff which been floating around in cyberspace since afore Algore invented it..the technique is way too labor intensive. Now the flavor aint too bad but not a grand prize winner by any means. Guess we gonna have to take a little time off and go teach them Amish wife beaters how to make some real Texas Baloney. :LOL:

bigwheel

Looks amazing!

Now hang one up and let it hand dry for months.

Then you can cut off a hunk and chew on some Sausage jerky!

REALLY

Back
Top Bottom