Need Ideas for a newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

surfinsapo

Master Chef
I have been asked to cater a wedding in May I believe and it will be about 30 - 40 people. I have no clue as what to buy and make. If it costs less than $200.00 I am going to do it as a gift to the bride and groom. Can yall give me some ideas as what to bbq or cook? Do I need to wear those funny clothes too? :shock: I have only cooked for about 50 men at the church before and it was fried fish, fries,hush puppies..... Thanks!!! :D

I'd do chicken and ribs, with a green salad, baked taters, beans. and a dinner roll mac salad, or tater salad, I would think that mac and cheese would be good tossed in too. Might be fun to throw some Jello in the mix too. ;) :LOL: Good luck and have fun. Oh yea, I did pork chops one time with a Q sauce, and twice baked taters. (lots of prep with the taters, but worth it) they were good too.

Pigs

If it was me, I'd probably start by talking to the bride and groom and giving them some options or at least seeing if they have any preferences. If they are giving you free choice of what to cook, then do whatever you feel the most comfortable with and you know you can nail as a great product.

I think once you decide on the "main event meats" you can then look at sides.

wanna wow em...??

Whole boneless ribeyes (thin sliced as they come through the line) 2 would serve 50-60 $180
chicken thighs $20
Green beans, 2 #10 cans, with chopped onions & ham bits $10
Rosemary roasted potatoes 10-12 lbs $15
Tossed salad $20
tea & lemonade $15
Plates, cups, napkins, etc $15

no dessert... wedding cake provided.

total cost $275

these are rough costs but you get the idea.... add a little for ice & other misc stuff.. you are looking at around $300 bucks... not bad for a nice meal for 30-40

any questions, give me a shout.. have done this menu plenty of times with much success.

Gary in VA said:
wanna wow em...??

Whole boneless ribeyes (thin sliced as they come through the line) 2 would serve 50-60 $180
chicken thighs $20
Tossed salad $20
tea & lemonade $15

total cost $275

these are rough costs but you get the idea.... add a little for ice & other misc stuff.. you are looking at around $300 bucks... not bad for a nice meal for 30-40

any questions, give me a shout.. have done this menu plenty of times with much success.

Hey buddy. I have this daughter who is graduating from college in May. How about catering it for me?

Can't go wrong with bone in standing rib roasts of either pork or beef variety if you have the room. I do redskin potatoes, mixed with canned green beans, sauteed onion, and bacon (with the residual fat poured over the whole pan.) I would ask them if they want the traditional "Tejas" style BBQ with Brisket, Ribs, Sausages, Beans. Or, are you free to choose?

Brisket served on a bun. Sweet beans and tater chips. Few dawgs for the kids. Person could do that for 200 bucks and get some change back. I figger a lb raw meat per person and a quarter lb of sausage each just to let em chew on the side. Try the J.C. Potter hotlinks from Wally World. Very tasty and nice soft bite..also got a little heat in em. Each link weigh 1/4 lb I think so it be easy to do the math. They shrink little to none.

bigwheel

Are we talkin fancy er down home?

Down home would be pulled pork an brisket, tater salad, corn bread corn an fresh cornbread.

Fancy type, Sliced chuck roast, sliced pork roast, twice baked taters, a nice lettuce salad an a dinner roll.

I'd talk with the folk an see kinda what they are expectin. Give em some idears what yall like to smoke an such.

Fried Hominey is a good one fer either fancy er down home to. Gots lots a color in it, plus bacon, an everbody loves bacon!

Ya can do ribs an such, but this gonna be a weddin with folks all dressed up so that might not work out real well. Ribs ain't cheap niether.

Ya can pick up some them disposable chafer racks perty resonable to. They come in handy fer allota thins. I got some a the half pan ones an the full pans. Half pan racks I bought fer a dollar each at our dollar store, Walmart carries some to. The full pan ones I picked up at a food distributor, ours sells to the general public, it came with two pans, servin ware an two a the alcohol burners fer 12.50. Heavy duty enough ta use many times.

Just besure ta keep yer hot stuff over 140* an yer cool stuff on ice. Good luck, these deals can be alota fun an put a bit a money in yer pocket, we ain't gettin rich doin it, but it's a part time job fer us. Folks like the country food.

And it don't hurt ta dress up in the monkey outfit niether!

img_173296_0_e609142c36d513b10a038407331cb945.jpg

Ya can pick up a chefs jacket perty cheap offin ebay er some a the uniform shops. Or just a nice shirt an pants with some polished shoes. I don't do white cause I look like the Michlen tire guy!

Now I cant figger out why anybody want to eat cornbread with bbq. Talk about two incompatable food groups..that be like Vanilla ice cream with sour kraut on top. Who can know the mind of the brethern from the North:) Now the shirt is cute. I gotta get me one of those.

bigwheel

Bill The Grill Guy said:
[quote="Gary in VA":dstwvtdr]wanna wow em...??

chicken thighs $20
Tossed salad $20
tea & lemonade $15

total cost $275

Hey buddy. I have this daughter who is graduating from college in May. How about catering it for me?[/quote:dstwvtdr]

Book early... time slots are limited :D

bigwheel said:
Now I cant figger out why anybody want to eat cornbread with bbq. Talk about two incompatable food groups..that be like Vanilla ice cream with sour kraut on top. Who can know the mind of the brethern from the North:) Now the shirt is cute. I gotta get me one of those.

bigwheel

That might be, but it be one a our most requested sides! It ain't fancy, just a good ol down home basic cornbread, can't beat it topped with some honey butter!

I am reading all of these replies and they are great.. Keep them coming.. Getting all kinds of ideas... :D

I guess my favorite all time sides is to make corn bread and crumble it in a tall glass then pour in some buttermilk and a dash of honey. And it looks good enough to count for desert!!

bigwheel said:
Now I cant figger out why anybody want to eat cornbread with bbq. Talk about two incompatable food groups..that be like Vanilla ice cream with sour kraut on top. Who can know the mind of the brethern from the North:)
You need to get out of the Lone Star State and visit some Q joints in the other South. Lots of cornbread over there east of y'all.

--John

Unity said:
bigwheel said:
Now I cant figger out why anybody want to eat cornbread with bbq. Talk about two incompatable food groups..that be like Vanilla ice cream with sour kraut on top. Who can know the mind of the brethern from the North:)
You need to get out of the Lone Star State and visit some Q joints in the other South. Lots of cornbread over there east of y'all.

--John

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Ya'll might eat that cornbread in the south, but it is usually that "sweet" stuff that tastes like birthday cake!!! I gotta say, I don't usually pair cornbread with BBQ. I love it with chili though!!!

Corn bread with pinto beans is really good too...Put the bread in a bowl and then pour some beans on top. :D

Back
Top Bottom