Here we go......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
This time of the year gets very busy for me BBQ wise, so I'm juggling a new VERY BUSY INTENSE job with my side BBQ biz..... Over the past month I've cooked 3 cases of butts on 2 WSMs (1 case will fit on 2 WSMs at a time) so I'm getting porked out, but people keep buying it so who am I to complain. I got a couple more orders and didn't have the time to do a full case, so here's 4 butts I put on last night around 5:30pm. They cruised overnight with a slight breeze with temps in the mid 30's. They're sitting at 154*...........when they're done I'm throwing some fatties on. Everything will be vacuum sealed, frozen and delivered Monday morning.

img_170202_0_d056a0976b3836796d49d8be7005a08d.jpg

I should start a side bbq business too...the folks at the freight company are always asking if I cooked something over the weekend in anticipation of left-overs!

Do you cook butts on the Primo as well, Larry or not so much?

Greg Rempe said:
I should start a side bbq business too...the folks at the freight company are always asking if I cooked something over the weekend in anticipation of left-overs!

Do you cook butts on the Primo as well, Larry or not so much?

I have Greg, but I sold my XL a while back and only 2 will fit on the Jr. But the Jr is out of commission right now with a fried gasket..... :(

Larry.

Do you go ahead and pull those butts before you vac seal them ?

Do you pack them in larger bags when people order larger quantities ?

One more question :

Are you smoking fresh turkey which I cannot find around here or the $10 turkeys that all the grocery stores have this time of the year only ?

Cliff H. said:
Larry.

Do you go ahead and pull those butts before you vac seal them ?

Do you pack them in larger bags when people order larger quantities ?

I pull, season, chill, vacuum and freeze.

I sell in 2lb increments, normally 2lb bags which is as big as I like to go. I have some people that live alone or a husband and wife who request 2-1lb bags because they can't eat 2lbs at a time.

Cliff H. said:
One more question :

Are you smoking fresh turkey which I cannot find around here or the $10 turkeys that all the grocery stores have this time of the year only ?

Fresh brined turkeys. I have substituted the pumped frozen birds birds on occassion.......they turn out great, but still not as good as a fresh brined bird.

Butts are done and the fatties are on. 4 Maple Fatties rubbed with Wolfe Rub Original and 3 Hot Fatties rubbed with Wolfe Rub Bold.

img_170247_0_d149cfe346e2fc6f9865dca8da51f591.jpg
img_170247_1_4246a2ae2af7af6a821423a823162d90.jpg
img_170247_2_978d995b45a105b7dcf9555083ddf3ba.jpg

Larry, first, nice to see you back! Second, how many butts do you anticipate you can fit on the new, larger WSM thats coming out? That might be a great answer to your cooking needs!

Nick Prochilo said:
Larry, first, nice to see you back! Second, how many butts do you anticipate you can fit on the new, larger WSM thats coming out? That might be a great answer to your cooking needs!

Nick I don't know.....the most I've fit on one 18" WSM is 6 but that was overstuffed. I'd guess you could easily get 6-7 butts on one of the newer ones.

Nice lookin' food, Larry. I'm sure your customers thank themselves for finding such a great source for barbecue.

About the WSMs, just take a look at a 22 1/2" kettle grate and multiply by 2. Those are going to be big cookers. Four butts per grate will leave room to spare.

--John

Back
Top Bottom