BBQ Central

BBQ Central (https://www.bbq-4-u.com/forum/)
-   General (Non-BBQ) Discussion (https://www.bbq-4-u.com/forum/f11/)
-   -   Smoking in Upstate NY (https://www.bbq-4-u.com/forum/f11/smoking-in-upstate-ny-1436.html)

Nick Prochilo 06-11-2005 03:44 PM

Hey Chris, welcome aboard! I'm from the island and it's a little to far to travel to Albany for some "Qing". My daughter goes to school in Albany (Siena), maybe on one of the trips up or down to deliver her we can get together. Where in the Hudson Valley area is the comp. you mentioned? And when is it?
Thanks

Captain Morgan 06-11-2005 03:46 PM

I am contantly shocked by how many Noo Yawkers are getting serious about q. They're everywhere! Carpet baggers! :!:

Nick Prochilo 06-11-2005 03:49 PM

Hey Capt, I'm so hooked, I'm coming down your way (well partly your way) to look at retirement property! Gonna be down in New Bern, NC week after next to take a look and see! From there you and me are only a few hours away :badgrin:

oompappy 06-11-2005 03:53 PM

Congrats on the Gator!!
That Ribfest Cookoff sounds like a good one for Grillers & Smokers.

Finney 06-11-2005 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Prochilo
Hey Capt, I'm so hooked, I'm coming down your way (well partly your way) to look at retirement property! Gonna be down in New Bern, NC week after next to take a look and see! From there you and me are only a few hours away :badgrin:

Nick... New Bern called... They said to tell you they were full. :o

Just kidding buddy. Come on down. :!:

Nick Prochilo 06-11-2005 06:34 PM

They told me the same thing. Full of rebels, looking for a few Yanks though! #-o

john pen 06-12-2005 09:51 AM

Well, after spending all winter trying to keep my pit temp in 0 to 20 degree weather. it was a pleasure to cook in 80 degrees. All I kept thinking about was how good you southerners have it being able to have that weather all year long...12 more years and there will be another "snowbird" will be heading south !

Captain Morgan 06-12-2005 09:54 AM

it's the old yin yang thang John...in July and August, it's too freaking hot and humid to start a a grill!

Nick Prochilo 06-12-2005 10:03 AM

The only way to rationalize it is "the heat doesn't hurt". Man you get that cold into your bones and it takes a day and a night to get it out of you! I do construction work, and I've come home many a time in the winter and just have to stand in the hot shower for 30 minutes with the waters heat penetrating to my bones! Sucks but what are ya gonna do! I could have been a Dr. if I wanted, I chose my own profesion, so shut up and keep laying bricks!

Finney 06-12-2005 10:10 AM

Come down here during July, August, Sept, and even Oct. You might change you're mind. :)

Nick Prochilo 06-12-2005 10:25 AM

Yeah but when you pass out from the heat, hopefully somebody will roll you to the shade!

Airboss 06-12-2005 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john pen
Well, after spending all winter trying to keep my pit temp in 0 to 20 degree weather. it was a pleasure to cook in 80 degrees. All I kept thinking about was how good you southerners have it being able to have that weather all year long...12 more years and there will be another "snowbird" will be heading south !

If you're heading to Fl. you better buy your property now. In 12 years it will be either be completely unaffordable or gone.

ScottyDaQ 06-12-2005 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airboss
If you're heading to Fl. you better buy your property now. In 12 years it will be either be completely unaffordable or gone.

My folks bought a place in Naples about 5 years ago ... It's tripled in value since then.
They are leveling million dollar homes knowing that they can get 3 mil for it. ... That says a lot.

Airboss 06-12-2005 04:59 PM

And I'd sell this place today but I'd have to find another place to live. Unfortunately I'd like to buy in Raleigh or Saratoga and my equity won't buy me much there. It's like living on top of an oil field with no drill. Now if I wanted to live in Youngstown, Ohio....

Captain Morgan 06-12-2005 05:15 PM

Airboss, Raleigh is great, but just buy a little place out in the country or in a small town near Raleigh. You can live in Mayberry for a fraction of the price, and be in Raleigh in 5 or 10 minutes.

And you can be within a half hour of about 10 of the world's finest bbq joints. :biggrin:

Airboss 06-12-2005 06:45 PM

Thanx Cap. So as not to get too off topic watch for a PM.

Finney 06-12-2005 07:26 PM

General Discussion... As I understand it there isn't really an off topic (I could be wrong) And it's the orginal poster needs to monitor that. But hey, what do I know.

Also, Raleigh is more than 30 mins from Lexington. :!: 8-[ #-o

Captain Morgan 06-12-2005 08:05 PM

I didn't make a mistake, Finnmater.

Finney 06-12-2005 09:21 PM

Then you lie! 8-[
just pick'n buddy

Kloset BBQR 06-13-2005 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Morgan
Airboss, Raleigh is great, but just buy a little place out in the country or in a small town near Raleigh. You can live in Mayberry for a fraction of the price, and be in Raleigh in 5 or 10 minutes.

And you can be within a half hour of about 10 of the world's finest bbq joints. :biggrin:

Captain,

You mean Mayberry is a real town? I thought is was fictious. Or did a town spring up and call itself Mayberry after the show became famous?

Any idea where that lake is where Andy and Opie skip stones and go fishing?