Great BBQ in Philly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dollarbill

Head Chef
Does anyone know any "Must Have" bbq joints in Philledelphia? Im pretty sure I'll be there in early December. Thanks.

STAY AWAY FROM PAT'S OR GENOS !!!!!!!!!!! They make crap in a roll.
If you want a killer cheese steak sammy, let me know when you are ready.
Tom Christine has a BBQ restaurant on the east side of the city. He competes and is one of the guys that started up MABA.
There are maybe 2 or 3 other joints, but I'm not familiar with them since I don't usually eat BBQ out.

:LOL: :LOL: I didn't see your parentases line about Pat' or Geno's, John, till after I wrote the above. You know me. :LOL:

Rag said:
STAY AWAY FROM PAT'S OR GENOS !!!!!!!!!!! They make crap in a roll.
Holy carp, someone who agrees with me! I went to Pat's after about 50 million people (ok, exaggerating a little) told me to go there last time I was in Philly. I tried it and didn't really like it. When I told my Philly friends they looked at me like I blasphemed or something. :LOL:

The last one I had at Geno's had me spitting half of into the street. Big strings of gristle and the flavor sucked. One of the best in Philly is 4 blocks away.

Well now ya know us old small town po white oil field trash Texas Boys likes them thangs too. Kindly coughs us up a januine authentic grand prize winning recipe when you get a round toit. The episode I seen on Food TV claimed and showed the place which uses half froze shavings from choice grade Ribeyes for the meat ration. Now is this getting hot or warm? I like Steak Ums but they awful expunsive.

bigwheel

Don't matter where you live, Philly cheese steaks are not easy to make at home. A meat sammy, yes...a Philly steak, no. It's like making NY bagels.
The meat used in the steak shops is some kind of thin slice beef (no freezing nonsense) and dumped on a grille. As it cooks they chop it apart with 2 spatchulas. Mushrooms and onions are cooking next to the meat. Just before done cooking AMERICAN cheese is laid over the meat to melt.
Now, what makes it the real deal is the roll. They are special Italian Philly baked rolls that are hard to get even in local stores, but they are HALF the reason the sammy is so good. You can do all the above perfect, and if you don't have a killer roll, it's a meat sammy.
The meat goes in the roll, mushrooms next, then the onions and topped with Italian gravy (a tomato sauce).
If anyone gets near you when eating one of these, you have a tendency to growl like a dog. :LOL:

Well shoulda knowed it be too complicated to try to make one at home. Guess I just have to drive up to Philly. Think I will wait until the election is over and the rioting has died down a little. Thanks.

bigwheel

Big wheel, you don't have to worry about riots and nasty stuff in South Philly. The Italians fellows have an organization that keeps the hair bags in line. Lots of manors shown to around there.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom