How many pits did you own???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

txpgapro

Sous Chef
I went through 2 Brinkman Water Smokers over about 15 years. Broke down 4 years ago and got a big LyfeTyme smoker which I really love. But with that said, I'm still waiting on the rig I really want..... a Bandit Premier by GatorPit! [-o<

THE EASY said:
How many pits have you own before you got the one that you enjoy the most?

How many differant brands did you own?

What was the BIGGEST disappoint you ever had?

What was the BIGGEST mourment of enjoy that you had?

How did you get started Big or Small?

If you knew what you know today what would you do differant?

How many years did it take you to enter compotion or BBQ for groups?

Was it hard to get started or was it easy to get started?

Are you related to Joe Friday?

Just the facts, mam, just the facts! :grin:

I've got 12 now in the fleet. Everything from a ECB to an Oklahoma Joe Roadmaster. I love them all, I enjoy each one for what it does. I can't say I like anyone better than the other. I'm going to sell the whole lot soon and buy a Stumps and a Backwoods. If you want to compete, send in your entry fees and jump in. You have as much chance at winning in a wash tub as with a large super rig. Super rigs make it a little easier, not necessarily better. My best moment and worst moments aren't in BBQ. It's all about the kids, having them, and living up to their expectations. If I had to do it all again and know what I know now...I'd definatly score better with the ladies. I started small and built it. I started competiting before I started to cook for groups. Winning will bring on the business if you want it. It can go both ways. You have to really have a passion for it. When it gets in your blood it's tough to shake it out. It's very hard work, but very rewarding.

Good Luck!

Jack

Bob-BQN said:
I reserve the right to claim that I have purchased the pit that I enjoyed the most yet. :!: I still want a GATOR! :(

Ditto !

WSM'er ... soon to be a Gatorerrrererr..rer.r. ? (sp)
I just bought a house so it may be a while.... but that $1700 deal I may be able to swing.

Hey 101, did you make the move to Texas yet or are you still in MD? just curious.. :!:

txpgapro said:
I went through 2 Brinkman Water Smokers over about 15 years. Broke down 4 years ago and got a big LyfeTyme smoker which I really love. But with that said, I'm still waiting on the rig I really want..... a Bandit Premier by GatorPit! [-o<

The Bandit Extreme is on it's way. Hopefully done by middle of nexr week!!

1. One
2. Two
3. Not nailing Nancy Marchione in High School.
4. Nailing her sister.
5. Small
6. Marrying 1st wife
7. Work in progress

How did this thread start out in the BBQ Mod Section???????????????????

Bruce B said:
How did this thread start out in the BBQ Mod Section???????????????????
It's been there since June 11 and you're just now asking, Mr. Moderator?? :lmao:

I would assume, you could tell from my answer, that it's the first time I've seen it Mr. Smart Ass, and I say that with all due respect.

Bruce B said:
I would assume, you could tell from my answer, that it's the first time I've seen it Mr. Smart Ass, and I say that with all due respect.
:taunt: And that's with all due respect too!

zilla said:
Hey Joker, what is all that electronic gear at the base of your smoker?
A Guru is attached, 3 Nu-Temp transmitters, 1 Nu-temp receiver and a baby monitor transmitter and receiver. :eek:

I thought I recognized the baby monitor, is that in case your baby starts to cry because she gets to cold? :grin: No really that is a great set up. Why did you change your avitar? Now I don't know how to act. :!:

zilla said:
I thought I recognized the baby monitor, is that in case your baby starts to cry because she gets to cold? :grin: No really that is a great set up. Why did you change your avitar? Now I don't know how to act. :!:
LOL! The monitor was to let me know when the Guru alarmed, but it never did so, I don't use it any more. As for the avatar, needed a change. :!:

Your blanket is seriously cool. That is a must for your local upstate. I really miss the NY fall and winter....sometimes. I have a great deal of fond memory’s of snow and hanging out in the school yards on cold LI nights when I was a teenager. However Texas is better when your getting older.

It's the Silver Jacket made by the BBQ Guru folks. There's a recent discussion about it here. It was a definete must when we lived on the river because of the winds but we just moved a hundred yards inland to Deb's late fathers house (where she grew up) and the wind is not as bad here...so far! :eek:

I grew up where it snows and have lived where it stays warm most of the year but like you said, the seasonal change is nice. It was important for my wife to move back up here when we did and the school system is much better here too, and I really don't mind the cold, it's that damned wind!! I hated having to go out and clear the driveway with 30 mph winds in my face!! Shouldn't be near that bad here :(

AARP, Here I come! :grin: :grin:

100 Yds???? That doesn't seem like much yds to me. :eek: The lake effect has a greater reach than that no?

Texas gets better every day! :grin:

Keep warm Joker and when you and the ole Lady get ready I'll help ya find a warm spot in Texas! :grin:

zilla said:
100 Yds???? That doesn't seem like much yds to me. :eek: The lake effect has a greater reach than that no?

Texas gets better every day! :grin:

Keep warm Joker and when you and the ole Lady get ready I'll help ya find a warm spot in Texas! :grin:
It's heavily treed back here. Now, I don't know what it's gonna be like when all the leaves are gone... :eek: So far though, you only have to walk about 25 yards in and the wind is pretty much gone. Lake effect is something like 25 or 30 miles but where we're located, South Buffalo gets it from Lake Erie and Rochester/Saracuse get it from Lake Ontario ~ We're pretty much in the middle. We still get the streams from time to time but not nearly as much as the others.

Edit: Image removed

Thanks for the warm welcome to Texas! :(

Started off with a Weber kettel, had 3 of them over the years. One was destroyed in a tornado, one was stolen and I still have one. Also have a smokey joe, I use it as a stand for the chimney charoal starter so I don't start a forest fire.

Also have a gasser from Austraila. It doesn't have a pull down lid, just cast iron grates on one side and a griddle on the other side. It's hooked up to 350 gallon propane tank so never worry about running out of gas.

Had a ECB, but got tired of searching for the pieces after a big wind. Replaced it with a Primo Kamando, very much like a Big Green Egg. Outside temps don't seem to matter much, it'll hold a solid 245 for hours without much fuss. I only use lump in it. It'll hold a 12lb brisket or shoulder or 2 whole racks of spares. I've Q'ed in weather ranging from below zero to summertime highs here of around 70 degrees with great results.

I have yerning to get me a Klose pit and get on the circuit - haven't got that one past the wife yet.

Back
Top Bottom