Redeye gravy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john pen

Master Chef
Tried my hand at some redeye gravy over a nice ham steak with home mede buttermilk biscuits.... I didn't like the tast off the gravy alone, but it was awesome on the ham !

Nick Prochilo said:
I noticed you forgot the recipe.
Baby...

Ingredients
6 (1/2-pound) country ham steaks (uncooked)
2 tablespoons butter
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons flour
3/4 cup very strong coffee
3/4 cup chicken stock
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1/4 cup heavy cream
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Buttermilk Biscuits, recipe follows
Directions
Heat a large skillet over high heat and saute ham steaks 4 to 5 minutes on each side. Remove to a plate and keep warm while you make the sauce.

Add butter and onions to skillet and cook until onions are softened, scraping up any browned bits on pan bottom. Add flour and stir well to combine. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, then add coffee and chicken stock. Whisk well to combine, then allow sauce to cook until thickened, about 6 minutes. Add green onions and heavy cream and cook 5 minutes longer. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and serve over ham steaks with buttermilk biscuits.

john pen said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":1l0eksej]I noticed you forgot the recipe.
Baby...

Ingredients
6 (1/2-pound) country ham steaks (uncooked)
2 tablespoons butter
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons flour
3/4 cup very strong coffee
3/4 cup chicken stock
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1/4 cup heavy cream
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Buttermilk Biscuits, recipe follows Directions
Heat a large skillet over high heat and saute ham steaks 4 to 5 minutes on each side. Remove to a plate and keep warm while you make the sauce.

Add butter and onions to skillet and cook until onions are softened, scraping up any browned bits on pan bottom. Add flour and stir well to combine. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, then add coffee and chicken stock. Whisk well to combine, then allow sauce to cook until thickened, about 6 minutes. Add green onions and heavy cream and cook 5 minutes longer. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and serve over ham steaks with buttermilk biscuits.[/quote:1l0eksej]

Buttermilk biscuits didn't follow.

Its like working with my wife around here sometimes !! :roll: :roll:

Buttermilk Biscuits:
2 cups flour, sifted
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup plus 2 teaspoons buttermilk
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients and blend thoroughly. Using your fingers or a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add buttermilk and quickly blend in, making sure to not overwork the dough.

On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough with a rolling pin to a thickness of 1/2-inch. Use a biscuit cutter or the rim of a glass, press out as many biscuits as possible. Gather up scraps and quickly knead back together, then cut out as many additional biscuits as possible. Place biscuits on prepared baking sheet and bake until golden brown, about 15 to 20 minutes. Serve immediately.

Finney said:
ain't never seen no thick red-eye gravy

just saying..................

Must be a cross tween red-eye & yankee white gravy ;)

Looks like tasted good, I'd eat it

Rag said:
Nick Prochilo said:
Thanks John, that wasn't so hard! Hey did it snow yet?
If only this was the blue room..

Re: the thickness... I was unfamilier with this animal till I saw the recipe..when I saw "then allow sauce to cook until thickened" I assumed that was how it was supposed to be...Should it be thin ? I believe the recipe came from Mr. Lagasse...

Red Eye Gravy is usually thin and watery with flavor of ham and coffee. I also have never seen anyone use cream in it. JohnP, your gravy looked good and I would eat that on biscuits. Try some sausage gravy on them biscuits, awesome stuff.

My Mother-in-law makes it using the grease left over from frying the ham, a cup or so of left over coffee and sugar thats it. You deglaze the pan with the coffee and then add the sugar, pour that over some biscuits and you got some good eatin.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom