Rate my rib box please...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I feel the one rib turned sideways is out of balance. My eight year old asked why that one rib is in there wrong.

In my opinion this box would be an 8 possibly a 9

Garnish needs some tyding up (and yes I am well aware this is not a garnish contest).

the ribs look good but the one on the side is out of sync with the rest of the box. If you want to put a rib on its side in the top left corner then I would balance out the box with another in the bottom right hand corner. Then the box would be at least symmetrically balanced.

The garnish hanging over the side of the box detracts IMO, and it also appears that the ribs are not even in the box, they look a little up and down, the cuts look like the edges are raised a little.

I'm not fond of the sideways rib either, though it shows off the smoke ring, ribs shouldn't be judged by their smoke ring, (see KCBS rules and regs), the sideways rib does look moist, but I'm not sure if that is undercooked moist not just perfect moist?

I'd give it a 6 or an 7 depending on the actual presentation on the day.

What did it score, if it was a real contest box?

If you are going to put a rib on it's side it needs smokering, well rendered fat and be very moist or don't do it. Not saying yours is some how wrong just make sure you are there if you do it.

I think the box looks great, some minor adjustments it is over the top.

thanks to all...

yes, this was our rib box from this past weekend

appearance scores were: 9. 9, 8, 7, 6, 6

I like the rib on the side because it shows the smoke ring and moistness, but it seems the majority did not care for it. I agree the garnish could be a bit more tidy. I can understand the 7 but what was bugging me was the two 6's.

I would guess the 2 six's came from judges who are looking real hard to find something wrong. If it would have perfect, you would onlyhave gotten 8's from them. Luck of the table. Tim

Back
Top Bottom