Foodsaver question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

monty3777

Senior Cook
I am going to be doing some meat for a church event - around 250 people. I will not be providing all the meat but will be doing 2-4 butts, 2-4 briskets and around 15 racks of ribs. I will need to cook the food 2-3 days before the event.

My questions:

Should I freeze the food with a foodsaver or just use the food saver and put in a fridge?

Best ways to reheat?

Which foodsaver model would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for your help.

monty3777 said:
I am going to be doing some meat for a church event - around 250 people. I will not be providing all the meat but will be doing 2-4 butts, 2-4 briskets and around 15 racks of ribs. I will need to cook the food 2-3 days before the event.

My questions:

Should I freeze the food with a foodsaver or just use the food saver and put in a fridge?

Best ways to reheat?

I would freeze, but that's just me other people may not.

Best way to reheat is to place the bags in a cold pot of water and bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for approximately 20 minutes until warmed through. DO NOT OVERHEAT, it will over cook and dry out the meat.

I'd refrigerate. Just make sure the bags seal properly.
I use the Food Saver V845 model. Works great.
Good luck ;)

I would freeze and thaw. It does something magical to the meat. Do it as far ahead of time as you want. Month or 2 years no problemo if your going to bag suck it. Thaw it out and slice and defat it cold. Reheat in a Sams pan with whutever juice you have managed to save and freeze too along with some water and black coffee. If you wrap with liquid just use the defatted juice mixed with water. It be numero uno. That boil in the bag thang is a the product of a fertile yanke imagination. They believe the brochures which come with the bag sucker I think.

bigwheel

monty3777 said:

My questions:

Best ways to reheat?

If you cool the meat properly/safely then you are safe to vac pac and reheat. Properly handled vac sealed smoked meat is safe for 7 days at 40 degrees.

A slow rolling boil in the vac pack is a great way to reheat.

bigwheel said:
I would freeze and thaw. It does something magical to the meat. Do it as far ahead of time as you want. Month or 2 years no problemo if your going to bag suck it. Thaw it out and slice and defat it cold. Reheat in a Sams pan with whutever juice you have managed to save and freeze too along with some water and black coffee. If you wrap with liquid just use the defatted juice mixed with water. It be numero uno. That boil in the bag thang is a the product of a fertile yanke imagination. They believe the brochures which come with the bag sucker I think.

bigwheel
Nothing up my sleeve.....chango' presto'!!!!= Mush! ;)

Dang glad somebody kept this thread going..thanks Stogie. Fact is if you gonna do the dirty deed within a month or two of cooking..pack them big packers into the two gallon Glad bags (or tall kitchen trash bags) and follow the other recommendations. If you got a real freezer wont hurt it in the least. I swear if you got a good freezer stuff dont even need wrapping. It is the no frost deals which will kill a person. Heat it in the oven if you want or it be mo handy. Just cover it up about 3/4 of the way with juice. Nothing real strong..object be just to keep it hydrated. Sorry to pull yup words out on ya.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom