They Ain't Pretty

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Green Hornet

Head Chef
Tried stuffing some tubes. About 15lbs total. The ones in the bowl were Nick's recipe for the Italian. Liked that one a lot, put some staight into tonights speghetti :P MMMMMMMMMM. The ones in the bag were from the Scottish recipe I posted. 4 more bags in the freezer. I need more practice! But they taste good enough ;)
img_160292_0_ff0d5015b11e7daed5072b352d91ecdc.jpg

What Nick and Witt said.
GH I'm no pro myself but the taste is what counts.
I had quite a few links that just didn't look right. But they tasted great!

Cliff just do it man!! It's a blast!

Fine looking links. It's not easy to find a real butcher with a grinder around these parts...just a coupla of the chain stores process their own primal cuts. When you do find one with a grinder they mostly dont want to use it on your behalf and start murmuring something about "cross contamination" as a way to avoid the process. The book I have which describes the caseless sausage prep using plastic wrap recommends a fairly low 30 min cook time..then a 30 min cool down period before removing the wrap and finishing the cooking. That rest supposedly allows the sausage to reabsorb some of the juice/fat or whutever it is which it gives up during the early cooking phase. Old Joe Ames used to say that sausage needed mixing till you couldnt mix it no then to keep mixing. He described a condition where the sausage becomes "fluffy" or "bouncy" as a gauge to when its ready to stuff. Not sure I ever reached that point:)

bigwheel

I'm with Uncle Wheel on this one :shock:
Around here...if a butcher is willing to grind some meat for you...because of the cross contamination thing...you will be paying close to x3 the amount of meat...

wittdog said:
Good Job GH...you just got to stuff them a little tighter..what did you use to stuff them with?
My wife got a kitchen-aide mixer a few months ago with a deal that gave her a free option. She chose the meat/cheeze grinder. Heck it was free. They also had a sausage stuffer, which is mearly 2 plastic tubes for $8. :shock: The casings were from the Sausage Maker site. I have enuff of them to last for a year or 4. ;)

Nick, yer Italian recipie is very good everyone here loves it. Thanks :D :P

You have my deepest condolences. Kitchen Aide mixers is designed to make meringue (sic) or Calf Slobber as it was called back in the good old days. There aint no attachement ever been invented for it which work worth a flip to my knowlege anyway...and when the Warden gave me mine for Christmas I had em all. It is made for con artist salesmen to sell to gulliable houseswives. Now kindly dont axe me how I know all this. :oops:

bigwheel

There is a "learning curve" with the mixer for sure. It does make good pizza dough tough ;)
The grinder worked really well I thought. Not even a hic-cup with beef and pork. The stuffer was a PITA for sure. I might invest is another stuffer later on but for the time being it is "run whatcha brung". ;) It was still fun especially when it tastes so good!

Back
Top Bottom