Making Jerky

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
My 6 year old daughter 'Cathryn' has been really wanting to make jerky, so that's what we're doing today. I sliced and marinated about 8lbs of top round in soy sauce, worcestershire, lots of pepper and garlic for 48 hours. I patted dry and it's now in the oven at 170º until dried.

img_159092_0_6db9c683458fd78e85d99376eb3dd4d5.jpg
img_159092_1_d02947d819a38118cf2b32847085c8b4.jpg
img_159092_2_c82b520285b1e29593dbeef1a1bf156e.jpg

Good grief, Larry, you've got all those smoking devices and you did jerky in the oven?? :shock:

I did a 3 batches totaling 7 lbs the other day, top round cured and seasoned with Hi-Mountain original, Cajun, and hickory blends, smoked with apple chips (thanks again, BchrisL).

--John
(Jerky needs smoke.)
(store weight 7 lb 5 oz (7.32 lb)
trimmed weight 6 lb 14 oz (6.88 lb)
smoked weight 4 lb 5 oz (4.31 lb)

The reason I'm messing around with ounces is that my spiffy electronic scale measures in ounces (only), or pounds and ounces, or kilos and grams. It's funny they didn't do a pounds and decimals option, but I guess that's because it's a kitchen scale, and ounces still rule the American kitchen.)

John have you been outside today?? I could put the jerky on my deck and it would be done by now! I'm not firing up a grill when I can drink beer inside while the oven does it for me!

Larry Wolfe said:
John have you been outside today?? I could put the jerky on my deck and it would be done by now! I'm not firing up a grill when I can drink beer inside while the oven does it for me!

You've got that right. I tried riding the motorcycle a hundred miles yesterday, and had to take a nap when I got home. It is HOT out there.

Right now, I am watching girls volleyball on NBC....now that is really hot! ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom