Trying brisket again this weekend. tips?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

monty3777

Senior Cook
erik said:
After several nice cooks on the WSM (ribs, chicken, butts) I am giving brisket another shot. The last time was not so good.
It's small- 1.87 lbs.
Any advice on times, temps, when to foil?
Thanks guys.

1.87 lbs? Wow. Never tried anything that small. Cook to 190 foil and let it sit for 1-3 hours and see what happens. What part of the brisket are you cooking if you only have less than 2 lbs? You might have better luck with a whole packer. Lots of fat and real easy to cook because you have more margin for error.

Erik,

I've never seen a brisket from any store that was only 1.87lbs except for the corned beef briskets that can be bought in the stores prepackaged. Brisket flats usually run in the 6-9lb range and full packers in the 9-16lb range.

Some pics of your brisket would help.

My tip to you is #1. Slow and Low temp #2 indirect heat if possible. #3 Let it rest in and ice chest wrapped in foil.. Good Luck.. I am going to make one today too.... :D

I know nothing about brisket, but I'd guess that is a half piece.
either that or it's from a midget cow, which is possible.
Just cause you little don't mean you get away from gettin
eat.

wish I could give advice, but as the first 5 words of my post said..

$3.69/lb for an overly trimmed brisket? You ought to look at a whole packer in cryovac. Should be able to get 'em at $1/99/lb or cheaper. More meat for the same price and it has a fat cap to keep it turning out dry. What you can't eat foodsaver. Just my .02.

Here's my brisket thing...FWIW...I rub with salt, pepper and garlic...12 hours in the WSM at between 225 and 250 (whatever temp it wants to be at with 2 vents closed and one vent open just a little)...I pull it at the 12 hour mark and wrap it well..Ive been doing the Saran Wrap, then foil, then a big bath towel, then either in a cooler, an oven (no heat) or the Carlise for at least a few hours...haven't been disappointed since I started this routine. I dont mess around with meat temps. Just keep the pit at the right temp and pull it at twelve hours...Your milage may vary...

I rely on my maverick all the way up till the flat hits 195. Then I turn it off and use the probe to check for resistance every 30 min or so.

Sometimes it may smoke for another 1 to 2 hours before the probe goes in with little resistance.

I have read internal temps as high as 215 when I pulled it off to rest.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom