Sam's vs. Wal-Mart meat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jack W.

Sous Chef
Wal-Mart meat is select grade that has been enhanced with at least 10% solution. The solution is salt water. The enhancements allow them to lower their price /lb and not loose margin. The enhancements can be beneficial for your chicken profile but not for the beef and pork. All Wal-Mart meat is cut off site and shipped MAP(modified atmospheric product) case ready to your location. Sam's does not generally sell enhanced beef, pork is sometimes, and the chicken is always. Purdue has been enhancing since the dawn of the empire. You are not really saving any money on your grocerey bill by shopping the meat dept. at Wally. The water just cooks away, leaving you select grade beef.

Produce at Wally is all grade B. The only handelers using grade A are your upscale grocers. That does not include Publix. Here in our area it includes Harris Teeter, Whole foods, and Piggly Wiggly (in upscale locations). Thats not to say that a good produce manager can't make it a good rack. You just have to throw away about 25% of what comes in the door. That takes labor and a well trained crew that takes pride in their work. I'm lucky enough to have both.

Good Q!

Jack
Journeyman Meat Cutter
The produce guy here in Oakbrook, SC!
(no offense taken) :)

Serial Griller said:
1044 said:
WM and Sam's offerings vary by region. At my WM, only the briskets are not injected. Every other cut of meat is. They will offer choice and/or select briskets. Sometimes only one or the other, sometimes both at the same time.

Sam's beef and pork are not injected, chickens are. Sam's, also, will vary choice or select.

We don't even get brisket at my WM. Most non-bbq associated people around here don't even know what it is!

Thanks for the good info guys!
Griller, try asking the meat guys... it may be in the back. :!:

Also, why do you grill cereal? I don't get it.?.?. :)

Back
Top Bottom