Building a Brick Oven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BchrisL

Senior Cook
22aWoodfiredoven.jpg

link

A few years ago, I was meeting with an associate in the pizza business and I asked him how he got started in the pizza business. He began to tell me the story of a home he owned in Up-State New York, and how he loved the pizza in that area. His favorite restaurants used either a coal-burning or a wood-fired oven. This gave him an idea.

video

This is not that much different from the "Open Pit" resturants I remember as a kid down the the Petersburg VA area (Kings BBQ) or in the Richmond VA area (Allman's BBQ ) or "The Farmhouse". There was always a open fireplace where the Q was lying on a steel grate at countertop level with a metal sheet blocking the fire that was at floor level. A couple cooked shoulders were pushed to the back, except for the one shoulder that was currently being cut up and served. The cook would cut off a piece and then transher it to a chopping block where it would be chopped with a clever and blended with sauce before it was served.

Great stuff. We want to build one at the camp ground this summer. We have most of the brick. Now I have to hide all the adult beverages till it gets done. :LOL:

I was going to build a brick oven in the back yard but the problem I found was getting fire brick here in southeast Florida. Nobody uses it or carries it. $3 a brick is the best price I got :shock: I had a horrible time finding old used bricks just to line the pit I have now.

Back
Top Bottom