Brisket Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pigs On The Wing BBQ

Master Chef
May sound stupid, but plop it on and let it roll. Just don't freak out when it gets in the "stall" zone (and it will) At a comp. I wrap at 170 then take it to 195 Good luck and have fun.

Are you planning on cooking a whole packer or a flat?
either way...I found it helpfully to mark the brisket before you cook it so you know which way the grain runs...
Flat or Packer?
Foil or no Foil?

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
When judging if I get a box with burnt ends from the point, I tend to score it a little higher. ;)
You are supposed to judge whats in the box..not what you feel is missing......

Chuck since this is your first brisket and for simplicity purposes since you're doing a comp, I would suggest you opt for a flat. Look for a fat with as much fat on it as you can and one that is uniform in width. Leave all the fat on the brisket, mark like Witt suggest, rub and cook until you get to 165*. Wrap in foil and continue until you get to 190-195* range or until you can easily insert your meat thermometer into the meat. Let the brisket rest wrapped in the foil for at least an hour, a couple hours are ideal if you have the time. Open the foil, pour the juice into a pan and keep it the juice warm and let the brisket cool before slicing. After you slice place the slices in the pan to warm slightly and then build your box and blot off excess juice!

When we sent chicken to the judges, we sent a leg-thigh combo for appearances, but provided sliced breast meat for the tasting. When I judged (one time), several people at my table thought the smoked thigh meat was raw and marked it down. Properly smoked, the thigh meat gets nicely pink. Untrained judges were a problem when we did competition smoking.

I know the KCBS trains a lot of judges, so hopefully it is not as big of an issue as it used to be.

Steve

Chuck_050382 said:
i picked up two whole briskets is how they are labeled.

but they only wight 6 pounds each.

I was expecting 12 pounds.

Any other tips.

I was going to expect 2 hours a pound, and was going to shoot for a 2-3 hour rest.
You better take a pic..they sound like flats to me....

Yeah flats will just cook quicker than a whole packer..and no need to seperate the point..cuz there is none...

Depending on if you foil or not and the temp you cook at I would say 8-12hrs...and add a few on the back end for the brisket to rest.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom