Another Brisket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oompappy

Sous Chef
Since there seems to be some Briskets being cooked last week and this weekend I figured I'd share this one I did this week.
This is a method I learned in the Texas Hill Country over 25 years ago.
I do it fat side Up and never foil wrap unless I need to hold it more than an hour.

Coat with Rub

Put it on Pit

7 Hours

At two thirds of the way through the cook (estimated at 15 hrs total)
I lay the brisket in a foil pan to collect fat, add about half a can of beer
and squeeze half a sweet Orange over the top. I use this to baste for
the remaining cook time. The orange peel makes a great mopping tool.

10 Hours

12 Hours

15 Hours REST

Slices

[/url]

Chris Finney said:
Buck up little soldier, you'll get it.
Maybe you should try Raichlen's method for cooking it on the kettle. Maybe that would work for you.

I tried Raichlen's method this weekend. (almost) :) I cooked it on my WSM on the bottom rack with 2 butts on the top. I foiled it at 5 hrs. at 160*, and pulled it at 187* at 8 hrs. I let it rest 2 hrs.
It had a good smoke ring, and tasted really good (the rub is great) but it was just over the line as far as dryness.

I made a chille with some of the left overs tonight. You could still taste the rub. My wife and I liked it, but my 17 yr. old son didn't care for the cubed meat instead of ground.

Chris Finney said:
Kids huh?!?!?
Did you tell him "that's how they do it in Tejas" :)

I sure did. And it would have worked before he had aquired all knowledge of the universe. :grin:

Hey cap I thought it would be fun to read this thread to my son. He has a message for you son. He says" Tell that kid that people that think they know it all annoy the crap out of those of us that really do." #-o
I know he is his mothers, I was there when he was born. There has never been a dna test thopugh to implicate me. :^o

Back
Top Bottom