Fiddleheads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diva Q

Executive Chef
brussel sprouts thread got me thinking about another fav veggie of mine fiddle heads. Any one here have a recipe they would like to share. Mostly we keep it simple steamed then s&p and butter.

Diva, Try this.
Fiddlehead Dijon
1-1/2 pounds fresh fiddleheads
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 cup nonfat buttermilk
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
3/4 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Clean and prepare fiddleheads. Remove scales and wash thoroughly. Place fiddleheads in a vegetable steamer over boiling water. Cover and steam 20 minutes or until tender, but still crisp. Set aside, and keep warm.

Combine cornstarch and buttermilk in a small saucepan; stir well. Cook over medium heat until thickened and bubbly, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in mustard, lemon juice, tarragon and pepper.

Arrange fiddleheads on a serving platter. Spoon sauce over fiddleheads. Serve immediately. Makes 6 servings.

Griff said:
I saute them in butter with a little salt and pepper. But they are not out yet here.

I have to agree with Griff.....

No other way to cook em'....they just wouldn't be my Grandma's
any other way.

Maybe a with little plop of a light dijon mustard on the side of plate
to dip them in

MMMM...my mouth's watering :LOL:

That's funny....Just this morning, my Wife took the boy out to go fiddlehead pickin. Could find any...cept on the interstate :cry:

She said she too likes em best simple. ...steamed or fried in butter.

I par steam 'em and grill em
I prefer my veggies naked :oops: meaning no butter or s&p - so the grill adds some more flavour

Well I aint never even heard of anything called a Fiddle Head..less maybe it was some kinda crab or spider or something in that family anyway. Did Marlon Perkins used to wrestle it on TV? Thanks.

bigwheel

I have also doused them with Italian salad dressing and grilled them. bigwheel they are the new growth that comes up every sping in certain ferns. They are coiled like the end of a violin when they first come up.

Back
Top Bottom