Bacon bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a recipe for Bacon Cheddar Cornbread.

Bacon Cheddar Cornbread

2 large eggs, beaten
1 14-1/2 oz. can creamed corn or whole kernel, drained
1cups yellow self-rising corn meal mix, slightly packed
1 cup self rising flour
1 cup milk
8 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, grated
8 slices bacon
4 Tablespoons bacon drippings

Cut the bacon into 3/4" x 3/4" pieces and cook in a skillet over medium heat until crispy. Drain the bacon on paper towels and reserve the drippings for use in the batter. If you intend to use this same pan for baking the cornbread, wash it first--the cornbread will stick to the bottom of the pan if you don't.

Preheat the oven to 425°F. Spray a 10" cast iron skillet with nonstick cooking spray and sprinkle the bacon evenly in the bottom of the pan.

In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs slightly. Add all the ingredients and stir well to combine. Pour the batter into the skillet, then heat the skillet on the stovetop over medium-high heat for 1 minute. Place into the upper third of the oven and immediately reduce the heat to 375°F. Bake for 35-40 minutes until just slightly brown on top and around the edges.

To finish, turn on the broiler and brown the top of the cornbread for about 1 minute. Don't walk away during the browning process, as the cornbread can burn quickly. You can see that mine started to burn just a bit in the picture above, but it tasted fine.

Brush the top with melted butter for a glistening finish.

For a Tex-Mex variation on this recipe, delete the bacon and add 2 tablespoons chopped jalapeno peppers and 2 tablespoons chopped green chiles to the mix. If you don't want chunks of green stuff in your cornbread but want to add a little heat, stir a dash of cayenne pepper into the batter.

I need to bake that Blackeyed pea bread I bought Its still frozen.

I can then reverse engineer it & test my recipe...

I'll bet you could make a stuffed bread with anydammthing, looking at the web sit pic the BEP bread has a pocket with peas & cheese in it

Captain Morgan said:
yeah witt, I thought it was you...didn't you say you didn't like
the ranch seasoning?

Thanks guys.
Its not that I didn't like the ranch dressing I think it would be better with more bacon and a garlic bread ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom