Teaching a new Generation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BchrisL

Senior Cook
img_149412_0_5f879969a843240c8681cdda60b85ee0.jpg

My son-in-law, Andy, came over last week and picked up my New Braunfels Hondo. Off it went to his house.

I got a call tonight and was asked to help with his first cook. I can't tell you how this makes me feel....more than proud and a little bit misty.

I am going to get to teach him how to cook ribs Friday. Melody ordered a case of St Louis style trimmed and we are going to cook them Saturday morning for a big gathering Saturday night. I hope I am up to the task. It is more important than just messing around on my own stuff, because I want to make sure they are good the first time. I just reviewed Advice for cooking spares for the first time a few lines down, and reviewed the video in the link. I am going to start them sometime Saturday morning. I will let you know how it goes, WITH PICTURES! :D

That's gonna be cool. Above all, don't show any fear or hesitate or drink too much beer while teaching the next bbq crew.

And you have my permission to whip his azz if he pulls out the lighter fluid.

Thats great. Passing on the knowlege of smoking is parimont and part of the BBQ'er oath. Can't waite to see the pics.

big dude said:
Great - been trying to get my kids interested. What's the brick on the firebox for.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: That is the MAGIC BRICK! The cooker will not work without the MAGIC BRICK. It keeps the firebox lid closed just right because the lid is warped just a little. It also helps me check the temperature in the fire box. It has to feel just right when there is a fire going I can tell when it needs more fuel when the brick starts to cool off.
If I cannot hold the brick in my hands, then the fire is too hot.

Mostly though the magic brick is like Dumbo's feather. It is just there as a conversation piece. ;)

But don't tell anyone....then the magic would be lost!

I'm getting a little misty myself after reading this story.
Looking forward to the pics. ;)

Friday afternoon...
img_149671_0_4ecd15ff67fa20ecc0a4a23dd6a6e009.jpg

We purchased a case of pork spare ribs already trimmed to St. Louis style. Here are three racks at my house thawing a little.

Friday night....
img_149671_1_ba070088817cef644f824eb5aafb9687.jpg

Andy started out using a sharp knife but soon learned that a dull case knife works better at getting that first edge of the membrane off the bone.
img_149671_2_cfb77e7efff5dba9a85aea6c749fa598.jpg

Later that evening, Andy has just learned to use a paper towel to grip the membrane on the underside of the ribs and to pull with one quick motion to remove it. After a couple of racks he is ripping it off like a pro!

img_149671_3_002328c76bf935b44749a760b042628e.jpg

We used Steve Raichlen's Memphis style ribs recipe and this is his rub mixture.

Steve Raichlen
Barbecue Bible

ISBN 0-7611-1317-7

We later went to a peppr shaker that had large holes in the top (like the ones you find at the pizza parlor with red pepper) to apply the rub. We also laid out an assembly line of plastic wrap on which to lay the ribs and to wrap them up for the night with the rub. The vinegar was for the mop mixture which we made Saturday morning.

Saturday morning....about 10AM
img_149671_4_2e767e9ce15513e1d7367c7980efbc23.jpg

We should have oiled the grates before we started the charcoal, oh well, next time!
We filled the New Braunfels with lump by Royal Oak. I also added some apple wood chips as we put the ribs on, and again after the first hour when we mopped the ribs.

We are cooking at 250 plus or minus, and I expect them to come off after about six hours or so.

I took a break this morning after we mopped the ribs and came home for lunch, and a nap. Andy is now incharge of refueling and watching the temps for the afternoon.

More pictures after we pull them off.

img_149704_0_6c318d6b095c9a4c91637356adb3a9d1.jpg

The ribs came out about 4:30 this afternoon. They were falling off the bone. You could stick a bone in your mouth and draw out a clean bone. The smoke/spice ratio was just perfect. We served them dry style.

img_149704_1_0edbb46dfc6d557816d8c6377362f1d6.jpg

There was not as much smoke ring as I expected but they were moist and tender. Note to self: Don't use the term "Would you like some DRY RUB" in front of a mixed crowd. The innuendo was too much and there was much laughter and banter for a while after. :LOL: :LOL:

img_149704_2_88f9261fabd219a4bc4f4a028ba50d77.jpg

Andy was in his element and reaping all sorts of praise about the ribs. He had about thirty guests. I was very proud. :D

Back
Top Bottom