When to remove the point?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScottyDaQ

Master of All
I've done plenty of flats, but this will be my first packer. When do you remove it...and put it back on. Do you use a separate probe for it while it's still attached?

Thanks

ScottyDaQ said:
I've done plenty of flats, but this will be my first packer. When do you remove it...and put it back on. Do you use a separate probe for it while it's still attached?

Thanks

Scotty,
You can do it two ways. You don't necessarily have to remove the point at all, you can slice the brisket whole as is. Or you can remove the point once your flat hits your desired internal temp and put the point back on the cooker for further fat rendering. Good luck!

I always put the point back on immediately after removal from the flat. Trim away any excess fat and back on the smoker it goes for another 3-4 hours. The point is the toughest part of the brisket and needs extra cooking time.

When it comes off the smoker I let it sit for 30 minutes to an hour. Cut in 1"
cubes and you've got classic burnt ends imo the best part of the brisket. Pour some BBQ flavored broth (50% BBQ sauce, 50% Brisket Drippings and beef broth) over the burnt ends (or eat plain), serve with some Texas toast, and fries and you've got one of the finest meals ever to come out of the state of Texas.

If you do this you may to freeze your left over brisket (use a foodsaver) but the burnt ends will disappear almost immediately.

ScottyDaQ said:

Thanks

Go by the temperature of the flat not the point. Pull around 185-190. If you haven't wrapped it in foil previously, do so now as it will help bring the temperature up a few degrees more and collect all those wonderful drippings to use later for your BBQ broth.

I cook whole and remove point when I'm going to slice flat, unless I'm going to do burnt ends I don't put the point back on the cooker.
Jim

IMHO you shouldn't cut into any piece of meat until it's had a chance to rest a while. I usually seperate the point from the flat before I cut the flat into sliced pieces. My points generally go to make Texas Marinated Beef. Which is chopped and sauced beef left to marinate for a day or so. Good stuff with sour pickles and a slice of vidalia on a cheap burger bun.

Good Q!

Jack

Jack W. said:
IMHO you shouldn't cut into any piece of meat until it's had a chance to rest a while. I usually seperate the point from the flat before I cut the flat into sliced pieces. My points generally go to make Texas Marinated Beef. Which is chopped and sauced beef left to marinate for a day or so. Good stuff with sour pickles and a slice of vidalia on a cheap burger bun.

Good Q!

Jack

I agree, never cut into any meat without letting it rest. But when you separate the flat from the point you are not cutting into the meat. They are two separate muscle groups. You're just cutting through fat, tendons, and cartilage. But please throw that point back on the smoker for another three to four hours and at least try burnt ends. I'll gladly trade the flat even up for anyone's unfinished point, every single time! Do I have any takers?

Back
Top Bottom