The Day Jackie Came To Town

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john a

Executive Chef
While on my way to the farmers market last Saturday I passed the local ballpark, home to a Class A team affiliated with the Chicago Cubs.

Daytona Beach is known for its special events. Ironically, what it’s not known for is an historical event that changed Major League baseball forever on March 17, 1946. The day Jackie Robinson came to town.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackie_Robinson_Stadium

I parked across the street and walked over to get a few pictures, found an open gate and went in. The boys of summer were practicing; no one stopped me so I made myself at home.

Only thing missing was the hot dogs and cold beer.

I love baseball and I’m very lucky my wife does as well, she’s a huge San Diego Padres fan. In fact they are playing the Dodgers Friday night so it will be a battle at our house. My son started little league about month or so ago, nothing better then being outside. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Toby keil said:
I love baseball and I’m very lucky my wife does as well, she’s a huge San Diego Padres fan. In fact they are playing the Dodgers Friday night so it will be a battle at our house. My son started little league about month or so ago, nothing better then being outside. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Bruce loves baseball as well..........too bad he doesn't live somewhere that they PLAY it!!!!!!! :roll: :roll:

Puff said:
That's cool John. Had the whole place to yourself. 8)

I was surprised that I was allpwed to roam around like that. Then again, I did not see anyone but the team and they didn't care.

John A. said:
Puff said:
That's cool John. Had the whole place to yourself. 8)

I was surprised that I was allpwed to roam around like that. Then again, I did not see anyone but the team and they didn't care.
I can remember back when I was a kid watching the Tigers play.
We could go right down by the dugout and talk to the players and get autographs. I remember watching the Red Wings Play at Olympia Stadium. We would stand next to the "ropes" by the locker room door. They would come out five feet from us and on their skates they looked like giants :shock: You got lucky John...for sure ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom