2008 Competition Schedule

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kloset BBQR

Executive Chef
I just finalized the 2008 Compettiton schedule. The price of diesel has forced us to try and stay closer to home this year. No Virginia competition and we chose not to enter New Holland either which I really enjoyed last year. Here's the schedule so far. October is still up in the air depending on whether Nelsonville survives. If not we may consider Dover Downs which would bring our total comps for the year up to eight.

2008 Competition Schedule

June 6 - Fairbanks, IN Q for the Kids
July 11 - Franklin, PA Smoke On The Allegheny
July 18 - Kettering, OH Ohio Veterans BBQ Cookoff
August 16 - Madison, IN Ribberfest
September 6 - Nashville, IN Bean Blossom Blues, Brews, & BBQ
September 13 Cincinnati, OH Jim Dandy's
September 27 Oinktoberfest
October 18 - Nelsonville or Dover

If anyone from the forum lives near any of these contests, please drop by and have a beer, soda, and some BBQ or better yet be part of the team for the contest. Looking forward to seeing everyone on the road. It's been one long winter! :D

Hey Mike,

I look forward to seeing you hopefully at Fairbanks or Kettering. Looks like we're doing a lot of the same comps.

Did you ever get a replacement for the trophy that they broke at Nelsonville?

Hey Thom,

Great to see you! I see that you have mod status now. I must have either missed the announcement or Greg is negligent in his duties! :LOL:

Congratulations on that!

I just picked up another smoker, a Backwoods Fatboy! Actually it's on order, haven't told the wife yet. I was looking to downsize a little this year on the size of the smokers.

I also intented to cut back on the number of comps but instead I cut down on distance travelled and added two.

Keep us informed on any more cooking classes that the CBBQA puts on this year!

Dallas

Big Mike said:
Looks like we will see each other a few times. Here is our schedule unless work gets in the way. Fairbanks is iffy and Nelsonville may get replaced.

June 6 - Fairbanks, IN Q for the Kids
July 18 - Kettering, OH Ohio Veterans BBQ Cookoff
August 16 - Madison, IN Ribberfest
September 6 - Nashville, IN Bean Blossom Blues, Brews, & BBQ
September 27 - Owensboro, KY
October 18 - Nelsonville

Hey Mike, I just got a letter from Nashville. Included was three $50 tickets to the Blues festival being held at the contest. This should be a good one!

Sorry to hear about the Nelsonville trophy. I think we all need to start looking at another contest in October. See you in Dover! :LOL:

Kloset BBQR said:
Hey Thom,

Great to see you! I see that you have mod status now. I must have either missed the announcement or Greg is negligent in his duties! :LOL:

Congratulations on that!

I just picked up another smoker, a Backwoods Fatboy! Actually it's on order, haven't told the wife yet. I was looking to downsize a little this year on the size of the smokers.

I also intented to cut back on the number of comps but instead I cut down on distance travelled and added two.

Keep us informed on any more cooking classes that the CBBQA puts on this year!

Dallas

I took a leave from the Mod role when I was elected President of the CBBQA. If Greg needs me back after Stagecoach is over I could pick it back up We did QN4Us competition 101 this year I am putting the class together in AZ now. Hey I am a Rep for Spicewine Ironworks Now theres one you dont have right? LOL www.stagecoachfestival.com

Nope, no spicewine yet. You know its only a matter of time. I'd have to have one of those mounted on a trailer. Too heavy to load myself.

Stagecoach looks like one nice event. If it wasn't so soon, I might make inquiries of a certain Spicewine dealer if I could take one for a test drive at the competition. At the price of diesel today, a plane ticket to Palm Springs would be cheaper than my gas costs for most compeititions. Maybe next year though.

Looks like you got some Big time entertainment. Try to keep Wynona away from the BBQ. Last time I saw her she was quite large!

Here is a thought though, maybe someone from California might want to put together an all star team from the forum for this event for next year. I think that would be a lot of fun. I believe the largest group of BBQ Central members assembled has been at Oinktoberfest. It would be great to get together a West Coast event. I'd fly out for that.

What do you think?

Might even sell a few Spicewines that weekend? :LOL:

Dallas

Hey Stogie,

We'd be glad to have you! The Kettering and Franklin contests are both in their second year. Franklin is limiting the field to 25, I would expect Kettering to have close to twice that. Nashville will have a big turnout as well with the Blues Festival. Madison is limiting the field this year to 60 teams. It's a great contest.

Hope to see you at one or more of these contests!

Dallas

Stogie said:
Damn!! Lots of contests in the area! Used to have to travel way too many hours to compete.

How many teams does Franklin, Kettering and Nashville draw?

May have to check them out this summer.

If any of you guys need a good dishwasher, let me know!

Oh, yes, I will bring the stogies!

Come hang with us at Franklin

Thom Emery said:
www.stagecoachfestival.com[/url][/quote:3tdu8stf]

Hey Thom,

I was checking out the Stagecoach Festival site. That's got to be the most impressive entertainment lineup I've ever seen at a BBQ Contest and Festival (outside of the Houston Rodeo).

Lets see according to the website you've got:

The Eagles, John Forgerty, Trisha Yearwood, Glenn Campbell, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Rascal Flatts, The Judds, Dierks Bentley, Dwight Yokum, Taylor Swift, Earl Scruggs, Bucky Covington, Tim McGraw, Carrie Underwood, Big & Rich, Gretchen Wilson, Trace Adkins, and George Jones, just to name a few.

Incredible, I'd love to attend. Definitely have to plan a vacation around it for next year!

Yea and we can see the stage from our location
$30,000 in prize money
Two State Championships one Sat and one Sun
Peoples Choice BBQ you sell your left overs
teams made $1,000s last year

Kloset BBQR said:
Hey Stogie,

We'd be glad to have you! The Kettering and Franklin contests are both in their second year. Franklin is limiting the field to 25, I would expect Kettering to have close to twice that. Nashville will have a big turnout as well with the Blues Festival. Madison is limiting the field this year to 60 teams. It's a great contest.

Hope to see you at one or more of these contests!

Dallas

Franklin imposing a 25 team limit? They have a huge area. I wonder why a limit.

LOL I do it all the time teams sign up to get in the limit then I "find" a little more room for a few more LOL

Well we are sending in our application for Franklin today. We didn't do it last year and regretted it.

Our competition lineup for this year:

May 30-31 '08 "Smoked to the Bone" Ottawa, ON

June 7 - 8 '08 "Canadian Pork BBQ Championships" Paris, ON

July 4th - 6th '08 "Canadian Open BBQ Championships" Barrie, ON

July 11th- 13th '08 "smoke on the Allegheny" Franklin PA

August 15-16 '08 "BBQ Magic in the Park" Merlin, ON

September 5 -6 '08 "Smoke On The Water" Gravenhurst, ON

September 26th-28th "Oinktoberfest" Clarence NY

We may do a couple of others.

After following this post I figured I better get on the stick and send in my junk for Franklin........and there is Bubba staring at me from the website. That's scary. :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom