Tri Tip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

big dude

Sous Chef
"Tri-tip roast is a boneless cut from the bottom of the sirloin. It is called tri-tip (three tips) because of its triangular shape. This is a small roast, about 2 inches (5.08 cm) thick and weighing 1 1/2 to 2 pounds (0.68 to 0.9 kg)."

"In California in the 1950s, tri-tip roast was a Napa Valley specialty, referred to as “Santa Maria Tri-Tip,” and until recently this cut was difficult to find and little-known elsewhere. That’s because there are only two tri-tip roasts in each carcass. In the past, rather than marketing such a small number of roasts, butchers usually cut them up for stew meat or ground them into hamburger. Today, cooks are discovering this lean, flavorful roast is just right for barbecuing."

AND

Most stores around here have to sell it at sirlion prices instead of ribeye or fillet.

I'll take one up against a fillet any day.

I am seeing them in the meat case and in the " reduced for quick sale " area here. I don't think folks around here know what to do with them.

Tannehill Kid said:
I don't see them in the local stores around here or I don't know what I'm looking for.

They don't lable em correctly most of the time

Tri-Tip is easy to find here in Southern California and Its great for grilling when you have a bunch of people coming over. We serve it sliced and our friends and family eat it plain or on a toasted roll with plenty of butter...so good. It presents very well and I seem to get compliments when ever I cook it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom