Reverse sear on a gasser

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

big dude

Sous Chef
Let me first appologize for no pics - had the camera all ready - but I was ashamed that I cooked the steaks to medium vs med rare, but they were still delicious. I used the reverse sear method to cook a couple of strip steaks on a gas grill (too lazy to fire up the smoker). I used the two end burners to keep the grate level temp between 225 & 240 using a probe in a cork. Cooked the meat indirect in the middle of the grill to 110 then direct to 135 (too high), then rested for 10 minutes. The meat had virtually the same color side to side as opposed to the thick grey around the edges from the sear first method. Served it up with fresh out of my garden asparagus (too good) and homemade bearnaise sauce. The meat dipped in the combo meat juice/bearnaise was super. Thanks to you inventors of this method. BD

Sounds great! I have found that when a good steak is cooked right it still tastes good if cooked a little past where you were shooting for. Did the same thing tonight. Turned out medium instead of med rare
img_148693_0_1caabb5a1801b6110819c1f18daae757.jpg

The greens were from a can though, so I bow to you for picking your own!

big dude said:
Let me first appologize for no pics - had the camera all ready - but I was ashamed that I cooked the steaks to medium vs med rare, but they were still delicious. I used the reverse sear method to cook a couple of strip steaks on a gas grill (too lazy to fire up the smoker). I used the two end burners to keep the grate level temp between 225 & 240 using a probe in a cork. Cooked the meat indirect in the middle of the grill to 110 then direct to 135 (too high), then rested for 10 minutes. The meat had virtually the same color side to side as opposed to the thick grey around the edges from the sear first method. Served it up with fresh out of my garden asparagus (too good) and homemade bearnaise sauce. The meat dipped in the combo meat juice/bearnaise was super. Thanks to you inventors of this method. BD

Sounds like a great dinner Big Dude!

Next time try pulling the steak at 100*, tent with foil while you crank the heat and then sear and pull at 125* and let rest and that should give you the med rare you're shooting for! A larger cut would be better pulled at 110* vs. a steak.

I do that too every now & then Big,

Ron What Brand were the greens?
Have you tried Sylvias 0r Allens canned greens?
I been eyein em at the store

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom