Book suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rev.Jr.

Senior Cook
My wife and kids have asked me if there are any books on grilling I would like for Father's Day (in addition to the new One Touch Gold they are giving me). If you had to pick one, which would it be?

Thanks guys. Maybe I can talk them into getting several. I'm not really what you'd consider a newbie, maybe brushing off the rust and getting back to old school cooking is more like it. Did a lot of whole hog and then butts back in the 70's when I was a teen. Would cook with my dad (Rev. Marvin) using nothing but hickory. Spent many a night tending the fire for those precious coals. Had a Weber One Touch when I first got married 17 years ago. Wore it slam out after about 10 years. (don't ask me how I did that. Just know it was dragged all over the countryside to parties, left out in the rain, etc.,) Been using a gasser, mainly for convenience, ever since. However, I've gotten very inspired lately after visiting the board. Ready to get back into it. Thus, a new One Touch on the way and a wish list of accessories to go with it. Give me a month or so and hopefully I'll be back up to speed.

I like "Master the Grill ... The Lazy way." By Pamela Rice Hahn, and Keith Giddeon; from (Alpha Books).
Although it's mainly geared towards the backyard gasser, it still has some good tips, and recipes.....TONS! and they rule!

I got this book when I was a .... ummmm
:newb:
But I still pick it up for those recipes. Like.....
  • Orange glazed baby backs
    Good Golly Good Ginger Ale Syrup
    "wOOhOO" Wooster Sauce
    Bananarama RazzMaTazz
    Gulf Coast Hurricane Hamburgers

Dam.... time to eat me some food !

Since you asked specificly for GRILLING books, I would suggest Raichlen's "How to Grill".
You may also want to look at Williams-Sonoma's "Complete Book of Grilling" And either the new Weber "Real Grilling" or "Art of the Grill" or "Big Book of Grilling". :!:

If you are looking for books on grilling stick with Raichlen. Start with How to Grill and move up to Barbecue Bible.

If your looking for books on smoking start with Smoke & Spice and anything by Paul Kirk (Championship Sauces & Rubs and Championship Barbecue). I also highly recommend Mike Mills (Apple City Smoker's) Peace, Love, & Barbecue book that was just released this month. An instant classic. One of the top three BBQ books I own.

If your looking for a great combo book on smoking and grilling they don't come any better than Raichlen's BBQ USA.

BTW Rev Jr. you guys make one hell of a mustard based BBQ sauce. Please forgive my french but I get all excited just thinking about it.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I've seen all of these at our local Books-A-Million. Kloset- excuse your French?LOL You got to remember...my DAD is the Rev., I'M the preacher's kid (even at 45yrs. old, a somewhat calmed down version of a typical preacher's kid). Thanks for the compliments on the sauce.

If you get a chance page through Chris Schlessinger's How to Cook Meat. It's pretty interesting if you want the complete lesson.

Good Q!

Jack

Back
Top Bottom