My First offical cook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looking good! (Is there an echo in here?)

Be sure not to set the smoker over a combustible surface (wood deck, dry grass, leaves) since you installed the vents in the bottom of the charcoal pan. The original ECB design had an open vent there, and Brinkmann ended up recalling them because small bits of burning charcoal could fall out and set fire to the user's deck.

Good looking grub. Congrats on your first cook. Just keep reading and following the advice from the great cooks on here and you'll just keep gettin better.

Chuck_050382 said:
Not sure I want to do a long cook (butt) yet.

I want to get the fire control down a little better.
Don't wait too long -- smoked pulled pork is wonderful stuff, and butts are extremely forgiving as long as you're somewhere in the temp ballpark.

--John

Chuck_050382 said:
Not sure I want to do a long cook (butt) yet.

I want to get the fire control down a little better.

Go ahead, just be sure to put in a thermal probe in the butt and make sure you allow yourself enough time to finish without the pressure an important deadline( like 25 guests arriving) . I usually cook one the day before and reheat it when it is time for the serving.

The butt is done at 190-200, and those last few degrees seem like they take forever, but it will get there.

The cooker will vary a little as the fuel burns down. It will start off slow get a little fast and then slow down as the fuel burns. Just so the average temp is between 250 and 300 you got it made. Don't try to micromanage the temperature. The temperature is going to vary a little it is a wood fire. It is like floating down the river, slow and easy, restful you'll get there on its schedule.

And if the cooker runs out of fuel before it is finished, put it in the oven and finish, it won't change the taste one bit.

It's easy!

Chuck, nice looking Q there. Is that an ECB your using and if so have what kind if mods have you made to it? I use a WSM for my home Q but I also have an ECB that I would like to use when we go camping or riding in the desert.

Nice job on your cook. Did you have fun? Assuming you did since it all turned out well. Good luck on the temp control thing. Butts are fun, espcially an overnighter.

Back
Top Bottom