flanken cut beef ribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

camp_cookie

Senior Cook
Seasoned with Dizzy Pig Cow Lick and ready to go on the grill:
img_146724_0_9bfab8d92bee6f3882230c7e07aad69b.jpg

On the grill over Nature's mesquite lump charcoal:
img_146724_1_51ee4a2fd44e0631b33d6eb588875815.jpg

Ready to eat:
img_146724_2_49e2fa1772b544e6d62d1e5684b82bbf.jpg

Next time, I think I'll brush them with a little bit of sauce either right at the very end or just as I take them off the grill. They were dang tasty. :)

My maternal grandfather was a meat cutter in the small town in Middle Georgia where I was raised. The cut above is what he always sent home with my mother when we were going to eat ribs and are what I always considered as "the ribs".

I don't see many places carrying them now. If I have to buy my meat from a grocer instead of an actual meat shop, I usually use one of the local Publix stores. I've been burned by the local Krogers a few times, but I stopped in one that is convenient to my house to pick up something else and saw these there. I'll have to stop in there more often just to get this cut. This particular store is being remodeled, and the butcher section appears to be much improved, and the guy that was running the show the other day looked to be an old time meat cutter and not just somebody putting out packages.

Growing up, we always did them on the grill or under a broiler. The bones make a nice handle for eating. :)

My fire was VERY hot, and these only took a few minutes per side to be done. My total cooking time was around six minutes total.

Raichlen features these on page 91 of How to Grill calling them "cross cut ribs", and I have seen them called Argentinian rib steaks, which is how Raichlen refers to his complete recipe for them.

I have never seen those either but I certainly will look for them. Great looking and the pictures are breathtaking!!!

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
Korean short ribs...right? If that's what they are...it's really good with Korean style BBQ sauce marinaded for a few hours and then grilled.

Yep, that cut (flanken style) is popular in Korean (or I would assume Asian) supermarkets. I do them all the time in the summer when I'm making Kalbi. They cook so fast and the flavour is out of this world.

Kalbi Marinating

On the grill

Thanks to all for the kind words. I was very pleased to find these locally as they were certainly a "taste of home".

Several people have mentioned the Korean thing. I'm not an authority on Asian food by any means; so, I don't know if they are a common cut for that cuisine. I just know them as the "ribs" that my grandfather always cut for us when growing up.

They are good. I can get them with or without the bones. We like them with teryaki. I keep an eye on the meat case and when I see some nice looking ones without too much fat, I buy 'em.They might be easily available here because Anchorage has a large Asian population.

I made em 3 years ago according to a thread here
in the archives...no pics....lots of long lost names in
there though....anyway, Bi Lo has on sale this week,
think I'll get some more.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom