UDS Reaches it's limits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliff H.

Master Chef
This is a huge butt cook for me.

I had to make another shelf in my uds. They are all in there. I bought a brisket flat thinking there would be room for it also.......I don't think so. ;)

8 butts on at 7:00 in the PM. I hope to be pulling and packing before lunch.

This is related to the the " No time to rest" Thread. I was given mucho information and advice on how to handle the butts once ready. I am very much appreciative of all who responded with helpful info.

It has come to my attention that there is 24 hours in a day rather than 12 as I was somehow imagining when I said I would be serving 12 hours after smoking but in reality it will be 24 hours.

I am going pull, cool and pack for the the trip to Nashville.

That is one big butt cook for sure there BOY. It'll be interesting to see how the UDS does with all that meat in there, temp wise and grease wise.

I put the butts on early so I wouldn't have to fight the fire but with all the mass involved it has taken my uds a couple of hours to get up to 230 running wide open. (Learning Curve for Cliff)

Now it is plugging along at 235 at the top grate.

Speaking of that, I wasn't real sure were to measure the temp from. I chose the top grate because it was in the middle. Right between bottom grate and lid. ;)

Cliff are you worried at all about a grease fire or do you have a pan or something to catch the drippings? Also are you using Kingsford or lump? If Kingsford does the fat dripping on the briquettes cause alot of ash to get on the meat?

What a night. My UDS had great difficulty keeping temps up. Eight butts is just to much meat for a drum in my opinion. Six will be the max for one uds for me from now on.

The butts on the top shelf were running twenty degrees behind the ones on the bottom.

I foiled the butts at 180 and switched shelf positions. I have got to get another uds made for doing this many buttts.

I am burning lump with a little pecan wood. I did add a chimney of unlit kingsford when I switched them around.

Opinions needed.

At 10:00am all these butts should be over 195. I may carry to 200. I plan to leave around 2:00pm. I still have to cool and vacpac.

How short of a rest could I get by with ?

Thanks Pigs.

I usually don't foil either. I foiled this time because I needed to move the butts around and speed things up a bit.

I also considered that the people I would be serving probably have never had pulled pork with bark. I didn't want anyone concerned about the burned meat. :roll:

Had some granny scream "raw pork, were all going to die" one time. That was fun. If the folk your serving has never seen PP I'd put out a sign (like I had) Your food is fully cooked, the red color around the out side is called a smoke ring. Any concerns, please see me and I will explain.

Time is going way to fast. I have one butt that won't get done. Here it is 12:00 and I am trying to leave by 2:00.

I have 5 butts pulled, in three pans cooling on the counter. They are at 108.

When would be the best time to stick them in the fridge for a cool down for bagging ?

Cliff H. said:
Time is going way to fast. I have one butt that won't get done. Here it is 12:00 and I am trying to leave by 2:00.

I have 5 butts pulled, in three pans cooling on the counter. They are at 108.

When would be the best time to stick them in the fridge for a cool down for bagging ?

If you are going to leave by 2 you need to have them in the freezer now for a quick chill. Or just let them cool as much as possible on the counter and then bury in a cooler of ice. You're gonna screw up your schedule if you wait for the last butt to finish. Chances are it's 75% pullable by now. So pull it and what won't pull chop otherwise your not going to meet your schedule.

All of them or off. I have the last one cooling whole for a min while I type.

So,
If I get these suckers bagged and in a cooler of ice with temps sitll above 50-60, will that cool off quick enough if I bag loose and flat ?

Cliff H. said:
All of them or off. I have the last one cooling whole for a min while I type.

So,
If I get these suckers bagged and in a cooler of ice with temps sitll above 50-60, will that cool off quick enough if I bag loose and flat ?

Yes they will be fine! You may want to check them in a couple hours to see if there is any water you need to drain and add more ice.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom