Pit Beef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain Morgan

Chef Extraordinaire
put a foil pan under the meat to catch the drippings for
au jus...you can make a pan just by taking a big piece
and foil and rolling up the edges.

Kimmal, I cook my pit beef over direct heat...not low heat. I take it to 130* like you are planning to do! I agree with the pan to catch the juice!

Well you cook it till it hits 135 in the middle..however long that takes. :LOL: Would talke a wild *ss guess of around 4 hrs. depending how cold is the meat and if the heat remains constant. Unless you got CAB or at least Choice Grade Sirloin you might should be thinking of somebody with a commercial grade slicer who can cut it thin enough to be edible. If the meat be tough..it hard to cut it thin enough to be chewable with a knife. The typical Select grade sirloin we get around here a person be fortunant to be able to stick a fork in the gravy.

bigwheel

Here's how I like to do it.

Cook indirect between 250-275 degrees until you get an internal temp of around 100*. Then remove the roast and tent with foil and crank up your heat to around 425-450 degrees and finish the roast by grilling direct until you get an internal temp of between 125-130 degrees. Loosely tent again and let rest for 15-20 minutes before slicing. The roast will continue to cook several degrees while resting so take that into consideration for your finish temp.

pit beef can indeed be tough....one of the few times I plug up
my meat slicer...rarely use it, but when I do, it's worth it.

Captain Morgan said:
pit beef can indeed be tough....one of the few times I plug up
my meat slicer...rarely use it, but when I do, it's worth it.

It pays for itself!

Back
Top Bottom