Danville competition turn-ins... any comments

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gary in VA

Head Chef
Per Bill's prompting here are our turn-ins at Danville competition. Any comments you might have (good or bad) are always welcome.... I love to hear the good ones and learn from the bad ones. So, let me have it.

My scores were not perfect by any means so I am ready to hear what anyone has to say so I can improve.

chicken
http://www.ephotohut.net/viewpic.cfm?pi ... 150636.jpg

ribs
http://www.ephotohut.net/viewpic.cfm?pi ... 151124.jpg

pork
http://www.ephotohut.net/viewpic.cfm?pi ... 151306.jpg

brisket
http://www.ephotohut.net/viewpic.cfm?pi ... 151421.jpg

thanks.. hope the links work

Gary

I agree with ya both... for what it's worth that was the first time I actually used a sweet tomato based sauce glaze on my chicken and I guess being in the hurry I was in .. I got a little splotchy

so... how do you get that "moist sheen" you speak of master O be wan...? I brushed the pieces with the juices after i put it in the box. Brisket dries out soooo fast.

I bet it was really good eatin' huh! I listening to everything so I can compete someday. That is if I get any guts, or someone to hang with to show me the ropes.

There's another site that allows you to send your turn in pics to a third party, who will post them, and you can rate them freely without having to worry about hurting feelings. I think it's a great idea, and if any of you want me to post the pics, just send them to me. It's a great way to get
honest opinions.

Doesn't just have to be contest folks either....get honest opinions about what you're presenting your friends and families. Whether you reveal your identity is up to you.

First, Lemme say Congrats! I admire you. (suck up).

Also let me say that I'm not a Judge, just a Cook.
Just on appearance of course... and I haven't read any of the other posts ... Here's mine.

The chicken ... Very nice. I love the uniform shape and plumpness. I would've like to seen just a little more char on each...just a spec here and there like the one in the upper right, but more.

Ribs... Perfect. I love the arrangement.

Pork... Nice. I like the big chucks. However. the one muscle fiber threads, and the finely chopped up parts make it look a little macerated in parts.

Brisket... Very Nice. I would've liked it more if the bark were on top, and the specs on some of the slices weren't there.

In short... Ummm.... Dammmmmn !!!! :D

Did I say I wanted to try competing some day?

Crap Gary, If I have to do better than that to do well I think I'll stick to home Qing. :grin:

I'd devour any of that in a heartbeat.

Not a judge and don't compete... but.

I would want to see a little char on the chicken, and to be honest, I would like to see at least faint grate marks.

Once again, the slightest amount of char on the ribs.

Pork looked real good, but I would like bigger pieces in the mix.

Brisket looked great.

Great job Gary. =D>

Gary
Those are nice turn-ins, here somethings you can consider.

The chicken is really close, add butter to the glaze (gives you the shine) and let the glaze set a little longer, will darken up a little more.

Ribs, where the ribs all from the same rack? You can use lettuce to build up under the 6 ribs so they lay even in the box.

When you do pulled product make sure they only have exactly what you want them to eat, pull in large chunks (thumb size) with bark on every piece they can try. If you stick with dark muscles the judges are sure to get moist samples.

The brisket my first impression is it is upside down. It looks like the bark side is down in the box.

This all nit pick shit but the best I've been around all really pay attention to this kind of detail.

Jim

jminion said:
Gary
Those are nice turn-ins, here somethings you can consider.

The chicken is really close, add butter to the glaze (gives you the shine) and let the glaze set a little longer, will darken up a little more.

Ribs, where the ribs all from the same rack? You can use lettuce to build up under the 6 ribs so they lay even in the box.

When you do pulled product make sure they only have exactly what you want them to eat, pull in large chunks (thumb size) with bark on every piece they can try. If you stick with dark muscles the judges are sure to get moist samples.

The brisket my first impression is it is upside down. It looks like the bark side is down in the box.

This all nit pick shit but the best I've been around all really pay attention to this kind of detail.

Jim

You ARE the man Jim. You hit it on the nose. You are a kind man to share your experience here.

Good Q!

Jack

Back
Top Bottom